City of Amnesia
May 21, 2024, 06:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big O's Hiccups  (Read 4271 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« on: December 12, 2007, 02:13:28 AM »

No, this isn't a link to a funny fanart.  Tongue

Final Negotiator's collection of Central Dome-shots here made me realize why I've always had such trouble remembering what the Central Dome looked like, exactly. There never was a set design in the first place! Minor sloppiness, I'm sure, but it amuses me to think about Alex giving the Central Dome a refurbishing every couple months, just because he feels like it. Could've been a nice showcase of decadence.

Another thing that I can't help but notice is how Dorothy's hands don't always match the song she's supposed to be playing. Not that I can blame the animators--what they already had must've been a devil to draw in the first place.

Ahaha, and there's one last thing I have to mention for now. There's the scene in "Daemonseed" where Roger and Dorothy are drinking tea with Oliver and Laura. Laura pushes some sugar towards Roger and asks if he'd like some. Roger looks at her with a kindly, paternal look on his face. Then he turns back to Oliver and starts talking where he left off, not acknowledging Laura in the slightest. Condescending Japanese attitudes towards women? -- I THINK SO!  Shocked
Or maybe Roger being a stickler for "speaking in turn."

Heh, alrighty. If anybody else can think of things that seemed a bit off to them... please, speak. You won't be treated like a Laura.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:20:20 AM by R. Daniel Olk 01 » Logged

Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »

Laura pushes some sugar towards Roger and asks if he'd like some. Roger looks at her with a kindly, paternal look on his face. Then he turns back to Oliver and starts talking where he left off, not acknowledging Laura in the slightest.

Never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:52:29 PM »

Laura pushes some sugar towards Roger and asks if he'd like some. Roger looks at her with a kindly, paternal look on his face. Then he turns back to Oliver and starts talking where he left off, not acknowledging Laura in the slightest.

Never fails to get a chuckle out of me.

Condescending attitudes are always the best attitudes to have.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »

No, this isn't a link to a funny fanart.  Tongue

Final Negotiator's collection of Central Dome-shots here made me realize why I've always had such trouble remembering what the Central Dome looked like, exactly. There never was a set design in the first place! Minor sloppiness, I'm sure, but it amuses me to think about Alex giving the Central Dome a refurbishing every couple months, just because he feels like it. Could've been a nice showcase of decadence.

Yeah, I was surprised about the different renderings, too. (Actually, both pictures on the left are from Act 3! The middle - Act 4... The right - Act 9... Still, how do you have drawing inconsistencies within the same episode?!?) It would have emphasized Alex's ego.

Another thing that I can't help but notice is how Dorothy's hands don't always match the song she's supposed to be playing. Not that I can blame the animators--what they already had must've been a devil to draw in the first place.

I think if was difficult for the animators to portray Dorothy's superhuman reflexes. They probably didn't want to use a hyper-speed "blur effect", which always makes a scene comical. (Remember her running in Act 1? Or her bicycle riding in season 2?) I think they did it that way because they wanted us to be amazed at her playing speed, while also grasping that she gets a little ticked when Roger oversleeps...

Ahaha, and there's one last thing I have to mention for now. There's the scene in "Daemonseed" where Roger and Dorothy are drinking tea with Oliver and Laura. Laura pushes some sugar towards Roger and asks if he'd like some. Roger looks at her with a kindly, paternal look on his face. Then he turns back to Oliver and starts talking where he left off, not acknowledging Laura in the slightest. Condescending Japanese attitudes towards women? -- I THINK SO!  Shocked
Or maybe Roger being a stickler for "speaking in turn."

Heh, alrighty. If anybody else can think of things that seemed a bit off to them... please, speak. You won't be treated like a Laura.

I had to go back and watch this scene again, because I thought I remembered him nodding his head once (which still would have been silly, since Laura was blind), or a slight head nod while making a quick "mmm" sound (generic anime "yes", sometimes used in place of "hai" - Japanese for "yes"). But no, he does smile with the "paternal" look on his face. Yes, definitely a mistep by Roger, but why?

Was he lost in thought? (...It was nice of Oliver to quietly push the sugar in front of Laura, making it look like she "found" it... They are a great couple...) Did his train of thought get "derailed"? (...It was nice of Oliver to quietly push the sugar in front of Laura, making it look like she "found" it... They make a great couple... Hey, I wonder where he learned that music?...)

I also wonder if he was uneasy being in a room with a loving couple. There's no "Roger's Rule" regarding love and it has nothing to do with "negotiating" either... That's why I think that, at the end of the series, he makes "bold strides" toward a relationship... Despite his lifestyle, he sometimes leads a "sheltered life"... Either way, oops! Roger, mind your manners...and he is condescending towards Dorothy alot...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:35:02 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
6moondance
Project Members

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:58:17 PM »

There's the scene in "Daemonseed" where Roger and Dorothy are drinking tea with Oliver and Laura. Laura pushes some sugar towards Roger and asks if he'd like some. Roger looks at her with a kindly, paternal look on his face. Then he turns back to Oliver and starts talking where he left off, not acknowledging Laura in the slightest. Condescending Japanese attitudes towards women? -- I THINK SO!  Shocked
Or maybe Roger being a stickler for "speaking in turn.

"I don't think that scene was a hiccup, I think that the writers deliberate put that scene in the episode.  One of the minor themes of Daemonseed was Roger's lack of sensitivity toward Dorothy, ex. the scene in the department store when Roger tells her to join him on the elevator even after she reminds him that it may not hold her weight, then there's the scene at the breakfast table where Roger tells Dorothy that there's no way in hell he's even going to think of getting her something for Heaven's day.  The scene with Laura and Oliver was a continuation of the this theme.

I also wonder if he was uneasy being in a room with a loving couple.

I'm sure he was, especially after Laura pointed out what a lovely couple he and Dorothy were. 

Every hero has to have a few flaws in order to remain interesting.  One of Roger's flaws is his stuffiness.  He sees himself as an aristocrat.  As such Roger treats those he considers to be his inferiors with condescending politeness unless they fail to show him the proper respect.  Then the gloves come off. 

he is condescending towards Dorothy alot...

As an aristocrat herself, Dorothy sees right through Roger's pretensions and isn't shy about letting him know it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:11:14 PM by 6moondance » Logged
shadowdorothy

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:36:47 PM »

he is condescending towards Dorothy alot...

As an aristocrat herself, Dorothy sees right through Roger's pretensions and isn't shy about letting him know it.
yea thats always funny. but i cant see Dorothy as an Aristocrat, she shows tendinitises but is not one from the fact that most would never be maids even with dept to repay, would not "dumb themselves down", or even conform to another's needs or wants. Shes not even a spoiled rich kid at that rate, even though her father was sorta rich he still needed money to build her.

>>>>>....<<<<< acutaly shes a lot like me. misunderstood, a quite thinker, one who wants to be loved and is utterly ignored to a point, and could surpass all her peers or otherwise if she felt like putting effort into it. you can tell the love thing by the "supposed" rhetorical question, and yet is forever ignored.

6moondance
Project Members

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »

yea thats always funny. but i cant see Dorothy as an Aristocrat, she shows tendinitises but is not one from the fact that most would never be maids even with dept to repay,

Dorothy may have to work as a maid in order to earn her daily oil, but her manners, accomplishments and mannerisms are those of a lady.  I've known some refugees from Viet Nam who although they had advanced college degrees, had to take jobs as dishwashers or laborers until they learned enough English to find jobs in their fields. 

acutaly shes a lot like me. misunderstood, a quite thinker, one who wants to be loved and is utterly ignored to a point
I think that's why so many people on the Big O forums are so drawn to Dorothy, she is a lot like most of us.   
paul1290

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 06:48:59 PM »

The color of the band on Roger's watch sometimes changes color between episodes.

On the other hand, he does have multiple watches, so that might not be a mistake at all.

Mike
soap

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »

I remember in the 2nd season, Dastun's face varied WILDLY between episodes.
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »

One of Roger's flaws is his stuffiness.  He sees himself as an aristocrat.  As such Roger treats those he considers to be his inferiors with condescending politeness unless they fail to show him the proper respect.
I've not noticed this. That sounds more like a Rosewater thing to do... being snobby and posh.

In the manga each character has a weakness, and Roger's is alcohol. In the anime, I can't really tell what his weakness is... probably his caring for people. I dunno.... but what you've said right there doesn't sound very Roger-like.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: