City of Amnesia
May 17, 2024, 05:45:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54
  Print  
Author Topic: That Film You Bootlegged Recently, What Is It?  (Read 173623 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #585 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

I saw Avatar yesterday. It was one of the worst movies I've seen in my life. That's what happens when thousands of talented artists are forced to work for an uncreative writer/director. The guys in charge just had no self control. It was like "This will be the biggest scene!... but make this next scene even more impressive!!! No... MORE IMPRESSIVE!!!! MAKE EVERYTHING GLOW ALL THE TIME!!!!"  It's not the effects I had a problem with (I do 3D modeling and rigging myself), but it was used so irresponsibly. I felt like I was watching a one-billion dollar Geocities page. Also... the story sucked. Story is more important than effects. It's what gives them their zing.

Some otaku blogger named Darkmirage suggested that the glowy effects were an attempt to show the Na'vi night vision. Then it might make sense for footsteps to make glow spots, or for many things to glow, due to the heat signatures they leave behind. But yeah, without an explanation, it all seems like pointless flair.

The story wasn't bad in itself, just predictable. I do think the characters were rather flat, though. Jake Sully is the only name I remember. Sigourney Weaver was the only character I liked.

I saw Daybreakers too. That movie I liked. It was like a high budget SciFi original. Total B-movie.

Vampire SWAT team! I totally wanted to see this.

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »

I saw the original Terminator on TV the other day. I know I am way behind on the times.  Cheesy
Is it worth the $7 to see Avatar? I hear it's a nerds wet dream, but that's not as convincing as say a review by a non blogging nerd.

Shall I grant your wish?
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #587 on: January 16, 2010, 02:14:43 AM »

If you a gourmand of battles, then yes. I think the battles are almost perfect.

If you're the artistic type, then also yes, because it's very nice to drink in all the visuals. The movie reminded me of good DeviantArt come to life.

Most importantly, though, you'll understand all the stupid in-jokes that will pop up over the next few years. Or to put it another way, you won't be woefully behind the times as you were with Terminator. :-P

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #588 on: January 17, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »

I saw the original Terminator on TV the other day. I know I am way behind on the times.  Cheesy
Is it worth the $7 to see Avatar? I hear it's a nerds wet dream, but that's not as convincing as say a review by a non blogging nerd.

I SORT OF thought it was, but then again I'd never seen a 3d movie.

If I'd watched it in...well. Regular format, I'm pretty sure I'd have loathed it.

As it is...I really can't seperate the movie from its effects, because without the effects theres really not a hell of alot there.

But if you have three hours to kill and a 3d showing (I can only speak for the real-d, or whatever its called, one) then...sure, go for it.

edit: Also if you've just seen Terminator and then see avatar? You'll definately be going "What the hell happened to James Cameron"

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:44:02 AM by Sharpshooter005 » Logged
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #589 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »

Also... the story sucked. Story is more important than effects. It's what gives them their zing.

This doesn't surprise me. As much as I liked terminator, which is a lot, Cameron always struck me as a guy who's wayyy more interested in effects technology, or hell, just technology in general (Remember after titanic came out he apparently just became fixated on submarines for a couple of years?)
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #590 on: January 25, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »

Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Epic. That is all.

EDIT: And MSG: CCA. It ends like an Opera, I swear. Everyone either dies or just vanishes. Chan, Quess, Gyunei, Char, Amuro, Kayra, Astonaige...who else...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:34:12 AM by Char Aznable » Logged

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Wingnut

« Reply #591 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »

EDIT: And MSG: CCA. It ends like an Opera, I swear. Everyone either dies or just vanishes. Chan, Quess, Gyunei, Char, Amuro, Kayra, Astonaige...who else...
Everyone except for Bright, his family, and Nanai. They do call him Kill 'em all Tomino for a reason.

The three most hated words in television: To Be Continued...
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #592 on: February 10, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »

No kidding.

Just finished watching Full Metal Panic...then Star Trek (the new one)...then Repo again, but I watch it almost every night.

And can someone tell me what G-Failure (aka G-Savior) has to do with anything? I know, a horrid attempt at live action Gundam, but it takes place in the Universal Century, and yet has no relevance to it at all.

Makes for a good device for elevating my 360 off of the carpet in the living room though.

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #593 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

The Story of Ricky.

My friend George burned me a copy of this classic example of grade Z cheese. The violence and gore are so over the top it's laugh out load funny, yet the gore is also poorly done. For example, when one of the gang leaders in the is beating up some old dude and Ricky comes in to stop it, he trips him and he falls on his hail board face first, well, at least his cheaply made dummy does.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #594 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »

The Informant!

I found it slightly amusing, but that's about it.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Mike
soap

« Reply #595 on: February 22, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »

Also... the story sucked. Story is more important than effects. It's what gives them their zing.

This doesn't surprise me. As much as I liked terminator, which is a lot, Cameron always struck me as a guy who's wayyy more interested in effects technology, or hell, just technology in general (Remember after titanic came out he apparently just became fixated on submarines for a couple of years?)

I saw Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday, and it was pretty damn awesome. One of my friends said to imagine the Colonel guy is Duke Nukem. It adds so much unintentional comedy!

All of my friends today are like "I want to live on Pandora!" So does that make me a bad person for wanting one of those twin-rotor helicopter things?

I still think Aliens is Cameron's best movie, man. Game over.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #596 on: March 01, 2010, 07:24:57 AM »

Not a bad person, no.

Pirate Radio

Freaking hilarious.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #597 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:40 AM »

Not a bad person, no.

Pirate Radio

Freaking hilarious.

Oh it was? I thought it looked good, but then I saw reviews saying it wasnt

(Then again when Event Horizion came out, the reviews said it was bad..then years later I saw it, and liked it. So reviews...who knows)
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #598 on: March 02, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

well I finally saw Avatar in 3d. it was worth it and was so awesome.
I wanna see inglorious bastards. gonna have ta rent it.

Shall I grant your wish?
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #599 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »

I wanna see inglorious basterds. gonna have ta rent it.

Do it.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54
  Print  

Jump to: