City of Amnesia
May 17, 2024, 05:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54
  Print  
Author Topic: That Film You Bootlegged Recently, What Is It?  (Read 173623 times)
Mike
soap

« Reply #600 on: March 07, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

I wanna see inglorious basterds. gonna have ta rent it.

Do it.
DO IT NOW
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #601 on: March 07, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »

well I finally saw Avatar in 3d. it was worth it and was so awesome.

Was it the real3d version or..I know theres a couple of 3d projection modes (if they gave you black framed glasses when you went in, its the real3d one)

Like I've said to everybody who asked me about it, "If you see it, either see the 3d version or don't bother" (apparently theres a 2d version). The visuals are just insane, I totally get how and why this took cameron so long to make. Everything else is...lackluster, and I'm probably being nice.

Why its nominated for anything but the technical achievement award I don't know. (It deserves the HELL out of that though, cause goddamn)

I wanna see inglorious bastards. gonna have ta rent it.

This honestly was probably the most genuinely entertaining movie I've seen in the past year if not longer, and I'm fully confident the guy who played the nazi will win best supporting actor, but if the movie itself somehow got best picture I'd be overjoyed.

Whats funny is kill bill part 2 and death proof had me going "Eh..maybe tarantino peaked, or maybe I just don't like his stuff as much anymore". This totally and competely makes up for those and then some.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:15:10 PM by Sharpshooter005 » Logged
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #602 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »

Also... the story sucked. Story is more important than effects. It's what gives them their zing.

This doesn't surprise me. As much as I liked terminator, which is a lot, Cameron always struck me as a guy who's wayyy more interested in effects technology, or hell, just technology in general (Remember after titanic came out he apparently just became fixated on submarines for a couple of years?)

I saw Avatar in 3D IMAX yesterday, and it was pretty damn awesome. One of my friends said to imagine the Colonel guy is Duke Nukem. It adds so much unintentional comedy!

All of my friends today are like "I want to live on Pandora!" So does that make me a bad person for wanting one of those twin-rotor helicopter things?

I still think Aliens is Cameron's best movie, man. Game over.

Hello again,

IMAX-3D was only $1 more, but I ended up seeing Avatar in regular 3D. I thought the effects were good but not because of the 3D... Yeah, the Colonel did have a "Duke" kind of personality... How about the battle mechs? The HUGE bayonets on the mech guns were a nice touch, along with the realistic controls (the mechs imitate all the pilot's gestures). I thought the "unobtainium" was great under-the-radar sarcasm. I liked the detailed look at Na'vi culture. However, because of the fanaticism/backlash regarding this picture (especially around Oscar time), I had to balance my opinion by stating that even though I dug the picture, the Old Negotiator won't be doing any Na'vi cosplay. M'kay? Also, I can't see why this film should clean up at the Oscars, either, but it probably will.

As far as Terminator goes, have seen the 3rd and 4th movies, and thought they were cool.

Rented "Benjamin Button" and thought it was "cool", rented "Funny People" and thought it was "just OK", and rented "The Hangover" and thought it was "awesome!"

Broke out Transformers ROTF again, to watch for "Easter eggs". It's still a "good" movie in my book, even if I want to punch Michael Bay right in the face every time I see the Autobot Twins -- and if anyone were to communicate via spliced broadcast audio, wouldn't it be Blaster?

P.S. ...and yes Inglorious Basterds looks like something I should check out...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:27:07 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Tifaria
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cynic

Your friendly neighborhood cynic

« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »

Saw "Alice in Wonderland".  Still have mixed feelings about it, but it was entertaining enough.  I didn't have very high expectations for it, though, so maybe that's why I was easily pleased.  The pretty visuals help balance out with the mediocre story. 
Mike
soap

« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »

How about the battle mechs? The HUGE bayonets on the mech guns were a nice touch, along with the realistic controls (the mechs imitate all the pilot's gestures). I thought the "unobtainium" was great under-the-radar sarcasm.

The mechs were awesomely bad ass. I liked how they actually had a use as loaders, too. Kind of like they decided "hey, we have these big robot loader things, the Na'vi can't do much to them, let's give them huge machine guns!"

And the unobtanium, yeah. The first time they said it I was like "they actually named the magic material Unobtanium?" I couldn't decide if it was awesomely geeky, or they were just hoping nobody in the audience knew anything about engineering.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »

Tried to see Alice in Wonderland, but the 6:35 IMAX show sold out before we got there.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Mike
soap

« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a couple days ago I saw The Hurt Locker. Really good movie, but I think D9 or Inglourious Basterds should have won best picture.
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #607 on: March 12, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »

Saw "Alice in Wonderland".  Still have mixed feelings about it, but it was entertaining enough.  I didn't have very high expectations for it, though, so maybe that's why I was easily pleased.  The pretty visuals help balance out with the mediocre story. 

Yeah, I heard the conflict all comes down to one massive epic battle. Sounds kind of disappointing; I expect a story in Wonderland to resolve itself in a more cerebral fashion.

The mechs were awesomely bad ass. I liked how they actually had a use as loaders, too

I love it when writers envision multiple uses for anything in their world. Makes it more robust.

I'm hopefully seeing Shutter Island next weekend. I'm surprised nobody has seen it already. It's a Scorcese film. Surely it must be entertaining.

Mike
soap

« Reply #608 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »

I'm hopefully seeing Shutter Island next weekend. I'm surprised nobody has seen it already. It's a Scorcese film. Surely it must be entertaining.
The book was really, really, good. Hopefully the film is, too.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #609 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »

Alice in Wonderland

Better IMAX 3D film then Avatar.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #610 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »

Saw Alice in Wonderland in 3d.
That is one fucking demented movie. I'm glad I didn't take my little sis to see it. She'd have nightmares for weeks, I however did enjoy it. Anyone else notice all of Tim Burton's films end with a loop hole, and after the credits role you can see some extra stuff. Best example is a nightmare before Christmas. apparently Jack had four kids with Sally. I've never watched till the end of the credits, so I have no idea if it's true though.

Shall I grant your wish?
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »

Green Zone

I never read the book it's based on (I think it's called "Imperial life in the emerald city"? I remember seeing an interview with the author on the daily show and thinking "Huh sounds neat"), so how closely it hewed to the book I have no clue

...Probably not much, main character and some CIA guy seem to just go off and do their own thing through half of it. I'm pretty sure the book was more about the downright comical ineptitude of the coalition provisional authority/Paul Bremmer dropping the brown acid and refusing to use the republican guard in the stabilization.

Having said this, I liked it. It sorta pares everything down into a political thriller/action movie context but it worked pretty well.

The mechs were awesomely bad ass

Maybe it's just me, but all I could think of when it got to that was if they took the power-loader from the ending of aliens and put guns on it.

In fact all throughout the film, I kept half-expecting to see some little easter egg weyland-yutani logo on one of the aircraft or something (cause..yeah, "malevolent corporatized military force seeks supertechnology/weapon from alien civilization". It seemed like a tiny wink to the audience of "Hey where have you seen that before" was coming.)

So does that make me a bad person for wanting one of those twin-rotor helicopter things?

No, but then again I found the whole na'vi/linking into organic structures/mass-conciousness thing mildly disturbing because on some weird visual level it reminded me of this horror manga I shouldn't have read at 3:40 am. (Uzumaki, to be specific. I really can't explain why or how I made that comparison, but I did and for a moment just felt real squeamish)

Best example is a nightmare before Christmas.

He didn't direct this. I'm not even sure he completely wrote the script (think it was adapted off a vague outline he produced? Not sure)

Then again I'm not a terribly huge fan so I'm probably just pointing it out cause..he doesn't deserve 110% credit for that one
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:26:48 AM by Sharpshooter005 » Logged
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #612 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »

Saw some old 80's flick called under cover blues. some really weird cops movie.

Shall I grant your wish?
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »

Die Hard 2. Die Hard is in my car.

I sleep to these movies.

EDIT: Scratch that. I switched to The Princess Bride. Full of quotes, it is. Like..."You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:39:02 PM by Char Aznable » Logged

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

The book was really, really, good. Hopefully the film is, too.

It most definitely was. It gripped me with visceral suspence, fear and sadness. It comesat you from every angle. Absolutely gorgeous to look at, too. It was almost melodramatic, almost cheesy at the beginning, but in a way that told me this movie was going to give me exactly what I wanted: a grandiose, diabolical scheme to navigate.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54
  Print  

Jump to: