City of Amnesia
May 05, 2024, 10:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Revolutionary Girl Utena  (Read 5487 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« on: November 21, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »

Now this is a topic I bet you never thought you'd see.

Show's great (yeah I said it), but oh gosh, the movie's ridiculously cheesy. Very fun at times.

Something I don't understand is the characters' reaction to the whole End of the World mystery. Utena never questions the weird arena or tells anyone about it, what's with that? Maybe I'm forgetting something. All the characters are refreshingly intelligent, but the way Utena just accepts the duels as natural, this confuses me.

Go watch it! If you feel comfortable watching a chick show.

The Big Finale
A Dark Knight
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »

Moved the thread here. Smith Mansion is for mecha anime.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »

I've seen it, but I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I find it to be generic shojo by the books.

neoncoyote
The Fashionista

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »

Love this show. I haven't watched it in a long time but I have all the DVDs and it's an amazing show. So beautiful.

Nanami is my favourite character! The episode where she turned into a cow was my first episode.

❝Men have been taught that it is a virtue to stand together. But the creator is the man who stands alone.❞
Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:27:50 AM »

Utena's uniform is the wrong color. And I have the manga, not the anime. I'm sorry but Anthy doesn't get like-able until dios dies. That's a spoiler by the way.

Ninomiya sucks at dancing, but everything else is perfect...... Cheesy
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »

I find it to be generic shojo by the books.

Hmm. To just write it off like that, though, I have a feeling you don't like any chick shows at all, period.

Nanami is my favourite character!

lolcow

Bllue: I couldn't resist peeking at the spoiler. I'm about halfway through the series. Anthy isn't much of a character so, yeah, there's not much to like, that's for sure. I cut her some slack, though, I mean... she's could be under some spell for all I know.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:58 PM »

Hmm. To just write it off like that, though, I have a feeling you don't like any chick shows at all, period.

I don't mind shows aimed for a female audience, such as Escaflowne. Sure they said it was designed to appeal to both but it's aimed more at the female side. Utena is by the books and I find it to be very generic, so i I'm no writing it off, I just don't like it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 07:05:49 PM by Graham Aker » Logged

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »

"By the books," for me, would be something more like Fruits Basket or Vampire Knight. Gotta say Utena has more going on than those. Not to knock Fruits Basket.

Your impression of Escaflowne is interesting. There was plenty of fighting and guymelefs. I guess the focus was more on the emotions and such? Come to think of it, Vaan needing Hitomi to swing a jeweled pendant around to soothsay during fights, that's girly. So are Arcadians' pretty angel wings.

Veered off-topic, but I'm curious to know what drove your impression.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:36:03 AM »

Your impression of Escaflowne is interesting. There was plenty of fighting and guymelefs. I guess the focus was more on the emotions and such? Come to think of it, Vaan needing Hitomi to swing a jeweled pendant around to soothsay during fights, that's girly. So are Arcadians' pretty angel wings.

Most definitely. I've always viewed the T.V series as being aimed for the female crowd, and the Guymelef battles are just there to spice things up. Where as the movie was definitely aimed for the male audiences, seeing as Van was bat shit insane, and seemed to enjoyed mass murdering Zaibach soldiers. I myself prefer t.v series, mainly because of the story, which is well developed, also all the characters are all quite likable. The movie as alright, but it's not something I watch on a regular basis.

Not to knock Fruits Basket.

Fruits Basket was good for about 3 episodes, then I realized it was the same thing over and over again, however I enjoyed Funimations dub of it.

As for Utena, I've seen the movie, and that was plenty for me.

Xel
High Prosecutor

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »

Oh, lawd. That was your first mistake.

...Not to knock anyone who loves the Utena movie. |D

Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »

I really don't think Utena is a girl's manga/anime. The art maybe, but the story line is androgenous. Utena is a girl who wishes she was a prince. Most of it involves the confusing force that compels the student council to fight each other for their bride. It's based of of the classics, only this time the hero is a girl....=/

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

Oh, lawd. That was your first mistake.
...Not to knock anyone who loves the Utena movie. |D

I was gonna say, I was! Yeah, seconded. The movie's pretty and kooky, but in terms of material, the show is much richer. Utena the movie is just a cheesy rendition of a second-wave feminist novel. Or something like that. That little officer's cap on Utena and her little bob cut in the beginning of the movie just gives it away, stereotypes it. I couldn't stomach all the blatancy.

Interesting, Bllue. Interesting. You're probably right, at least on a conceptual level, the story is unisex. It's hard for me to agree completely, though, what with so many main characters being female and so much time spent on relationships. Not to mention the rose and water imagery. Still, yeah, it's got more universal draw than NANA or the other shojo animes I mentioned.

Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »

I find that there is a lot of thinking involved. Now that i think of it more, a lot of thirteen year old angst as well. >.>

I really don't like the stories that have 12-13-14 year-olds as the heros because they are just too young. I mean, thirteen year olds don't have those boobs...

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »

I find that there is a lot of thinking involved. Now that i think of it more, a lot of thirteen year old angst as well. >.>

I really don't like the stories that have 12-13-14 year-olds as the heros because they are just too young. I mean, thirteen year olds don't have those boobs...

lol. Now I know what Bllue looks for in her heroines.

Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 03:10:18 AM »

lol. Now I know what Bllue looks for in her heroines.

... a flat chest? xD you reminded me that I want to reread the series. I still don't have the last one, can you believe that? I don't think i'll be able to find it at any bookstore now, they've all gone to hell....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: