City of Amnesia
May 16, 2024, 10:42:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54
  Print  
Author Topic: That Film You Bootlegged Recently, What Is It?  (Read 173599 times)
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »

Hoboman is everyone's favorite superhero.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »

Batman Begins. I have some qualms, but not significant enough to dislike this film. Not action over story, or story over action. I found action and story competing for my attention. Interesting... Reasonably fleshed-out characters for a "first-in-a-series" film...

Well, I did say "good" and not "GOOD", or something along the lines of "Great movie!" or "GREAT MOVIE!" Mildly entertaining, even if I didn't entirely care for the ending. I kind of felt like the younger brother in the thunderstorm scene of the movie "The Boy Who Could Fly". (How's that for an obscure movie reference?)

Hancock = eh?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I was really looking forward to it.

Yeah me too, kinda. The first part delivers in the sense that it makes good on the "what if superman was a hobo, and drunk all the time?" angle.

Then it gets muddled in its own stupid backstory (here it suffers from a bit of what dragged Pirates III down for me; they really ought to have only referred to it obliquely).

Also, and related to the above, an irritating change of pace, tone, writing, about halfway through.

Still, I must know how "Pirates..." ended, so I'll have to watch III. However, now I'm very glad that I'm watching it on DVD, instead of seeing it in the theater.

Smith's (at least decent)/(at most grand) portrayal of his past characters would be enough to make me see this movie, despite the story flaws.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2008, 06:41:51 AM »

That is the only valid response. Good job, Money.

Saw the new Hulk, and it was a fun movie. Feels like Marvel's really pushing this Avengers thing, though.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »

Feels like Marvel's really pushing this Avengers thing, though.

Well, they are planning on introducing Thor in Iron Man 2, and having a Captain America movie (possibly trilogy), and even an Ant-Man movie, and then an Avengers movie.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2008, 12:41:35 PM »

Yeah, I heard about Captain America. And Iron Man 2 will likely be awesome, but who the hell is Ant-Man?

Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

Hank Pym is the greatest superhero to have ever lived in the fictional Marvel universe.

Also Thor was all up in Hulk, am I the only one that thinks so/noticed? The whole "mysterious thunderstorms etc" news report, hulk yelling at the sky, all that.

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »

Hank Pym found a way to shrink himself, using a new type of particle he named "Pym Particles".  He also made a helmet that let him command ants.

He soon lost his fiance, and then ran into the daughter of a wealthy industrialist or something who looked just like his late fiance, and gave her super powers so they could both save her father.

They got married, Pym found a way to make things grow too, another guy took the Giant Man mantle for a while, Pym goes crazy and thinks he killed himself and changes his name, making a costume that has shoulder-disk things that let him fly.

This isn't even half of his story, and I'm already know it's too much.  He got shafted a lot, but was best in his "Hank Pym: SCIENCE Adventurer" days.  He shrunk nail-guns and other things into his coat pockets, and then would enlarge them to shoot people.  He also would shrink the particles in a wall, causing a hole to open.

He also banged Tigra.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »

Hellboy II was rad, I enjoyed it immensely -- better than the first in my opinion -- acting was better, script was better, there's this bazaar scene that felt like a Star Wars cantina scene, except with Guillermo del Toro monsters in it, which was seriously cool.

Though, if you like the first for the nazis and rasputin, etc, or the space gods (... ok, if you saw the first because you liked the comic books) then this might not be the movie for you.

Because there aren't spoiler tags, don't read past this if you don't want spoilers.

Abe and Hellboy singing was incredibly lulzworthy, as was in general drunk Abe.

I gotta wonder though, near the end when princess-chick was all "he's so-and-so son of the fallen one" or something, shouldn't it be more like "son of the horrible 7 space gods stuck in a crystal mired in the crushing infinite blackness of the etc etc etc etc" key difference being ogrdu-jahad and not, like, the devil or whatever she was referring to.

Anyone who knows more about Hellboy than me should tell me.

BZZZZ!
Mike
soap

« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »

Hancock.
And you know what? It was really good. Unlike Wanted which was insultingly retarded.
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »

I really want to see Hellboy 2, if only because I think direction similar to Pan's Labyrinth will make it 1000X better than the first Hellboy movie (I have great admiration and respect for the SFX and direction in/of Pan's Labyrinth).

I finally watched everything there was to watch on the special edition set for "Batman: Gotham Knight", and I say that it is Epic Win. The "eastern" style worked exceedingly well Batman and didn't distract from the story/action, and the 6 shorts were incredible in their detail and approach. (Also Kevin Conroy as Batman = W00T). It wasn't all "Look at us! We're Anime!", in fact there were only 2 shorts where the Anime influence was strong enough for me to say "Now that's Anime", but at the same time it was in a very detailed and realistic style (like that of Steamboy or Death Note) and not like the stereotypical dime-a-dozen animes.
My favorite short had to be Dead Shot in the Gotham Knight mini-movie, although kudos go out to Field Test as being runner-up with its near perfect "Batman Begins"/"Dark Knight" canonicity.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes Batman, or The Big O (lulz batman as a robut).

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »

Guillermo del Toro directed both Hellboy films.

Also Gotham Knight was pretty rad. Dead Shot was my fav too (cool how they all fit together kind of part way ish).

BZZZZ!
The Big Finale
A Dark Knight
Administrator

« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2008, 03:22:19 AM »

This is less a movie I've just watched, and more a movie I'm GOING to watch, but ...

____ yeah, I Want To Believe is going to be super awesome and I'm definitely seeing it.
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »

Quote from: Hobo
Hank Pym . . . also banged Tigra.

Sounds... interesting.

Money: I guess you were.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »

Hellboy II was rad

Gratuitous scenes in Hellboy: (SPOILERS)

Fight with the elemental. Instead of sending butterfingers Abe to catch the jumping bean with his hands, Hellboy should've shot the seed with his enormous gun before it reached water. Even though he didn't do that, however, Hellboy also could've shot the Elemental in its "energy cortex" as it was rising up, again finishing the fight before it started. Carrying the baby the whole time was also stupid. Just hand it off to somebody before you start the acrobatics. btw, the sequence with the Elemental knocking over cars as it lumbered down the street towards the camera -- War of the Worlds.

Men in Black knockoff. The Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD or BURPED for short) was stuttering on about the anti-acid pills he buys, including where he buys them and whether or not they're over-the-counter, not because this is important or interesting, but because there's a generic tentacle-monster flailing in the background. Flash several other creatures in an off-hand, obligatory manner.

Fight with the tooth-fairies. You know the from moment that Jill walks into the ransacked auction hall, she's the one with the skills to eliminate the swarm with her area of effect pyrokinesis. But instead of having her blast away, everyone starts shooting individual fairies with their pistols, and we have to watch the human agents get gnawed to pieces before Jill finally starts chanting "There is a flame inside me, THERE IS A FLAME INSIDE ME," like a cheesy inspirational film, and finally kills the buggers.

(inconsistency: they're called "tooth fairies" because they love calcium and eat your teeth first, but the agents' meatless skeletons still had their teeth intact.)

The entire movie. If the crown melts in fire, why didn't the elven king destroy the crown instead of breaking it in three? Even if the King wanted it as an insurance policy against the humans, he must've realized that it was going to fall into the wrong hands as his guards died in front of him. Even then, he could've done something to destroy it.

Abe and Johann = gay lovers. The princess had to die so that Abe and Johann can get together in Hellboy III.

Krauss was fun to watch, and has a cool design. Same goes for the Golden Army and the Elven swordsmen (Pyramid Head, woot).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:57:45 PM by R. Daniel Olk 01 » Logged

Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #284 on: July 12, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »

Spoilers Continue

Look, it isn't my job to defend movies that other people made, but... lemme just offer some counter points here.

Hellboy is a terrible shot, he says as much in the first movie. Also, if he had to be told to hit it in the... whatever Johann calls it (something ganglia) then he wouldn't shoot there first. Also, he was carrying a baby, and running away from it. Why was he carrying a baby? Same reason he blasted himself out of the window -- he wants to be liked and accepted and to be a hero.

Besides, movie logic -- they wanted a big monster to fight. At least you didn't ask about why the prince was in that scene, talking to HB on the top of the hotel sign, which I thought was pretty obvious but is a common question I've seen elsewhere.

I think everyone in my theater thought the same thing about the hallway scene, but I also didn't care, so... whatever.

Jill would've killed the redshirts, and Abe, if she'd flame on'd right off. Besides, killing BPRD redshirts is a kind of a running joke, I've heard. In the one BPRD graphic novel I've read, they were just cannon fodder.

Last one I've seen answered by someone else, and went something like "do you take the bullets away from a police officer just because a criminal might get it?" Dude was clearly convinced his people could kill his son, otherwise he wouldn't have sent them all to their death.

The real inconsistency there is why didn't the princess challenge her brother? I mean, what is he going to do, kill her? The only answers I can come up with are -- she was somehow ineligible for the throne (... kings only? I dunno, seems sort of randomly sexist) which I don't buy, and the other being that She wouldn't have done it except as a last resort, which is pretty much what happened (kind of... in a movie logic kind of way) which I think is a more reasonable answer.

BZZZZ!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54
  Print  

Jump to: