City of Amnesia
May 16, 2024, 09:16:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I came, I saw, I kitbashed?  (Read 4373 times)
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« on: July 12, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »

A while ago, I acquired KO versions of some Transformers - G1 Devastator and Defensor (each $8). I've also recently acquired the 4 smaller KO G1 Aerialbots, sold in $4 2-packs. (No worries, since I already have a G1 Silverbolt).  I bought Defensor from Tuesday Morning, and the others were bought at Big Lots. They are called "Quick Change" figures.

Wow, you're thinking, that's much cheaper than eBay. Well, there was a tradeoff to making them that cheap:
  • Some simplified transformations, and few accessories/weapons.
  • None of the sliding/folding heads on the individual Devestator robots work. In fact, one only has half a head (the top half). The Defensor ambulance and 2/4 Aerialbots can't bend their heads forward.
  • No sliding pins on the Devastator power loader, to keep that right foot steady in "right leg" mode.
  • The Defensor motorcycle's front fork couldn't swivel around and down down in "right leg" mode.
  • The Defensor firetruck's arms won't bend, and 3/4 Aerialbots and the Devastator bulldozer can only move their arms outward.The Devastator dump truck's arms are too short. No Aerialbots can extend their legs, making them permanently miniaturized.
  • While the other robots are scaled right, the KO Aerialbots are 80-90% of the real Aerialbots size. (Minor concern, but I just wanted to mention it).

So, I finally decided that the issues needed to be fixed. I figured that the motorcycle would be a good first mod, seeing as I had a rotary tool, a spare screw, and some hobby knives. After scoring the front fork mount, it took diagonals to completely cut it off. Then I used the rotary tool to make holes in the body and front fork mount, finally securing the mount with a screw. I've also started separating the lower legs of the Aerialbots, which I'll then rejoin to their bodies with slider joints made from surplus plastic.

KO Devastator
KO Aeriabots (slightly better than mine) and Defensor
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »

What's KO stand for?

And so many model kits. I would be busy for a week with those.

Shall I grant your wish?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »

KO stands for (K)nock (O)ff toys, also written as knockoffs. Since eBay has sometimes prevented the posting of "knockoffs", they are often listed as "reissues" or "KO" toys. In fact, up until not long ago, there was a "KO Toys" website, with, you guessed it, lots of KO's. Also, there are legitimate "reissue" versions of toys, too.

I was going to take time collecting these kits, but then they started disappearing (I think Hasbro started cracking down on the practice), so I went out and got the 3 that I wanted. It's actually more fun working on these kits, than fighting over mint-in-sealed-box (MISB) or loose (unpackaged) stuff from the 80's on auction sites that have gone from $15-$30 to $150-$300 (no joke). Not only don't I want to spend that kind of money, but people employ "tricks" to win the auctions.

It's probably going to take me more than a week, but that's not really due to the complexity. My projects at work have really picked up, and left me with very little "fun time" for now. My projects should (hopefully) quiet down soon, so I'm hoping that I have a little late summer time to enjoy.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:57 AM »

I just go to the local model kit store and pick up some gundams. They usually have some recent models and a few older reissues. Most of mine are from the 00 Gundam series. The 6" ones are about $7-9, so not to bad.

Shall I grant your wish?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:05:54 PM »

Fast forward to December 2014...

I probably should go back to the old kitbashes and finish them. I actually got pretty far.

I made Siamese-twin figures out of two generic "Pacific Rim"-like robot figures. I picked up a couple dollar-store Gundam Mobile Suit figures, and plan to repaint and/or modify at least one for a friend. I found two more fake Transformers, and I'll attempting to modify them soon. I've picked out 3 legit Transformer toys, to modify into other characters - well, soon. I believe I have sufficient tools, paint, and raw materials. What I really need, though, is time. Not much of that these days... Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: