City of Amnesia
May 16, 2024, 10:42:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this idea even be possible?  (Read 10984 times)
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« on: October 10, 2010, 09:56:15 PM »

Ok, so a somewhat complicated robotic idea.

What if I make a chat bot, save the template and upload this into a robotic body? Give this robot an expandable dictionary in it's mainframe so that it can learn new words and teach it speech patterns.

Next give it the ability to walk, and pick things up/ move them. Give it a personality and see what happens from there.

except the walk/ move things everything else is not too complicated, and I'm hoping to have this done in 5-6 years (have to be realistic here).

My thinking is to make an actual R. Dorothy 2, seeing as she is only 4'11" and we have humanoid robots in the 5' range building the body might not be too hard, but programming the personality and getting it to do what I want may be the issue. I wouldn't be working alone, but the thought of doing it seems like a good one.

So what is the probability of doing this in 5-6 years? The chat bot and ever expanding speech and dictionary might not be hard, but incorporating it might be.

Shall I grant your wish?
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »

Next give it the ability to walk, and pick things up/ move them. Give it a personality and see what happens from there.

Welp

(Oh and I friended you)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:13:10 PM by Sharpshooter005 » Logged
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »

Erm what? You friended me? You mean on FB?

And why does everyone worry about true AI? it won't happen for at least 100 more years.

Shall I grant your wish?
Wazpy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »

Good luck.
Wazpy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:22:18 PM »

Any updates? I'd love to hear how it's coming!
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »

don't have any updates yet. I'm still trying to find a good chat bot that I can program to do what I want. It would also have to allow for visual effects.

I did figure out that making a small body wouldn't be too difficult, but it would only be 3" tall then. Pocket Dorothy might be fun, but would scare the living shit outta most people I know. And it would need to be hooked up to a computer most of the time. So not a very good option as of right now.

I've not been able to give much thought to the project because of school, but I'll have a break soon so I an look into it then.

Shall I grant your wish?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »

It's possible. Youtube had an AI robotics project from Hanson Robotics called "Jules":

He is now a guest of Bristol Robotics Laboratory: www.brl.ac.uk/projects/empathy/heads.html

He kind of vaguely reminds me of Ewan McGregor, for reasons I can't describe...

Here also is Hanson Robotic's Wikipedia page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanson_Robotics

I doubt you're going to start with this level of complexity, but just showing you that it's possible. No worry about a Terminator, at least without an ANN. Maybe, instill Asimov's 3 laws? Also, a pocket Dorothy that would walk to the edge of a table and lean precariously over the edge would be awesome!

P.S. I didn't friend you, but I ran across "Yuko" references on the "The web". Interesting...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:58:48 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »

Hm? what do you mean cross reference the web? If you where looking for a fb page you won't find it that way.
And there is no way I'd be starting at that level. Just building a Pocket Dorothy would take six months. 3 1/2 if I had help from a pro.

Shall I grant your wish?
Mike
soap

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »

WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE TRYING SO HARD TO MAKE TERMINATOR HAPPEN?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »

Hm? what do you mean cross reference the web? If you where looking for a fb page you won't find it that way.

Well, technically, one of the search engines does show fb pictures, but it probably only shows unlocked ones. However, no, I meant references to your avatar "Yuko-san" and her stories. Interesting choice of avatar.

And there is no way I'd be starting at that level. Just building a Pocket Dorothy would take six months. 3 1/2 if I had help from a pro.

Sorry, I didn't mean to overwhelm you with advanced projects like that. Wow, 3 1/2 to 6 months?!? That quick?

I guess you could isolate the motion control software/hardware from the chat bot software/hardware in the beginning. So, it would walk and talk, but not react (ex. you couldn't ask it to walk over to you). However, I guess you could have some sort of command software on the motion control and two microphones (one to the chat bot, one to the motion control) in the design. That way, if you say ("Hey, over here!"), the motion control software "hears" and sets R. Dorothy walking over to you, while the chat bot software hears the same comment (via its microphone), and has R. Dorothy say something appropriate (ex. "Hello... Have you seen Norman?").
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:31:31 PM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

^that is not a bad idea at all. I'll go download the chatbot I was thinking of using.

The reason the body wouldn't take that long is I have scrap metal and other various parts that can be put into a small automaton lying around. Plus I have an old dinosaur robot toy that I never built, who's small engine could be used in a 3" Pocket Dorothy. I would have to mod the engine a little, but it shouldn't be hard.

Shall I grant your wish?
Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »

BECAUSE TERMINATOR IS FROCKING AWESOME.

Dude.

Also, as unusual and undoubtedly difficult this project is and will be, Yuko, good luck.
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »

BECAUSE TERMINATOR IS FROCKING AWESOME.

Dude.
^ I second that.

However, if it's female and made of scrap metal and spare parts, I would say "she" will be more like:

and Alita is always good as gold...

No matter what, I'm sure "she'll" be awesome. Good luck on your project, Yuko!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:35:01 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Wazpy

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »

Waiting for an update.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »

I'm waiting till this fall to actually start programing. That programing course I took in college sucked cause we used Alice 2.2, and if you ever try to use it you'll be as confused as I was. I went into that class knowing how to program in DoS box and using the command line. I came out of it knowing nothing more then I hated object oriented programming. Theres a teacher who teaches python and C++, so I'm going to take him and then program the chat-bot.

As to building tiny robots, my favorite site to find robot parts went down a few weeks ago and isn't back up yet.

Shall I grant your wish?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: