City of Amnesia
May 17, 2024, 04:06:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Air  (Read 7514 times)
paul1290

Air
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »

Has anyone else seen Air?

The animation is very well done. The storyline was one of the best I've seen in an anime despite being relatively simple. The soundtrack was great too.

It's probably one of the few anime that almost made me cry, and that's hard to do.

If anyone is interested in watching it, it's sometimes shown on the Anime Network. I've heard there's also going to be a movie to be released in America towards the end of this year.

Anyway, here's a link to the opening:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=36Allc6uwZs&mode=related&search=

seraphjei
Bravo!

Air
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »

Movies been out for a while. There is the original game done by Key, Kyoto animation then made an anime based on the game. Toei later produced a movie. Its a terrific anime, and since it's made by Kyotoani, its sure to be good. Id recommend watching Air along with Kanon. As a whole Air is probably one of the best anime i've seen.

Aeternum vale
My Girl
paul1290

Air
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »

Oops, when I said the movie was going to be released towards the end of this year I meant the English version.

I've seen parts of the original version though. I kind of like the animation style used in the anime more than the one used in movie. However, I don't understand Japanese so I can't really say which one I like better overall.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:09:41 AM »

I watched the first episode subbed, but I guess I wasn't too impressed. I may check it out later, since it'll probably get a ThinPak, with all the attention it seems to be getting.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
paul1290

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »

You should definitly try seeing it in English.

The English dub isn't as good as the original voice acting, but having to read subtitles really hurts this particular series. The emotional impact of many of the scenes is pretty much destroyed if you have to read any subtitles at all. Unless you grew up learning Japanese, you'd probably have to settle for the English dub to really enjoy this anime. 

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:38:44 AM »

I'm mainly a dubbie to begin with, but I can really see how that would make a big difference in one's appreciation of a show like this.

I've heard it's slow-moving, but I guess, in this case, that's not really an argument for watching with the subtitles on.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »

I watched a few episodes, wasn't impressed much. Animation is nice and seeing as it's an ADV dub = big time pass for me.

seraphjei
Bravo!

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 12:23:59 AM »

ADV=lose
Give the orignial Japanese voice cast a try, you'll be pleasantly impressed how much difference it makes.

Aeternum vale
My Girl
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 05:50:58 AM »

I don't know, didn't the ADV team do the Sonic the Hedgehog OAV years and years back? Anyway, I thought about watching this as so many people have tried to tell me how worthwhile it is, but it seems far too "sappy-romance-nothing-happens" for my tastes. But I know some people are into that, and the designs and art do look great, so don't think I'm dissing it. It's just not up my alley, I guess.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 10:32:24 PM »

I finally saw it! Well, I saw it a month ago, but I just recently remembered about this thread.

Air was very unimpressive. At times, it looked as if it were on the track to grandeur, but within the confines of 13 episodes, the show had too many arcs and not enough time to make any of them 100% legit.

Kanon is the show you'll want to watch. In many ways, Air was just a spinoff of Kanon. It followed Kanon's formula, and it was in fact made by the same people. (In episode 3, the main characters of Kanon even have a cameo appearance!)

Joker, don't watch Air. Watch Kanon. If you want a show that has a sort of beautiful sadness, watch Kanon. It's a masterpiece, not a spinoff like Air.

I wonder if Seraphjei would agree with me on this one. I hope he sees this post.

This makes me curious. Have you seen Kanon, Paul1290?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:34:55 PM by R. Daniel Olk 01 » Logged

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »

Finally broke down and watch the full OVA, was very meh, it's not the high art people make it out to be.

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

I finally saw it! Well, I saw it a month ago, but I just recently remembered about this thread.

Air was very unimpressive. At times, it looked as if it were on the track to grandeur, but within the confines of 13 episodes, the show had too many arcs and not enough time to make any of them 100% legit.

Kanon is the show you'll want to watch. In many ways, Air was just a spinoff of Kanon. It followed Kanon's formula, and it was in fact made by the same people. (In episode 3, the main characters of Kanon even have a cameo appearance!)

Joker, don't watch Air. Watch Kanon. If you want a show that has a sort of beautiful sadness, watch Kanon. It's a masterpiece, not a spinoff like Air.

I wonder if Seraphjei would agree with me on this one. I hope he sees this post.

This makes me curious. Have you seen Kanon, Paul1290?

Watch Kanon, you say? Huh...

I'd much rather watch a show with plenty of violence, maybe a dramatic subplot, and a booby or two. Can't I just watch that? Is it even possible to watch shows like this and retain your masculinity?
War.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »

Is it even possible to watch shows like this and retain your masculinity?
War.

As long as you still like shows with boobs and explosions, I think so.

Quote from: Gaddes
the OVA was very meh, it's not the high art people make it out to be

Damn. The movie looked a bit better than the show. Guess I won't even bother, now.

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

Is it even possible to watch shows like this and retain your masculinity?
War.

As long as you still like shows with boobs and explosions, I think so.

If I watch Kanon, and then end up watching the Lifetime Channel somehow, I'm coming for your blood.
War.

Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »

...end up watching the Lifetime Channel...

I hope this happens.  You could see the tragic story of a woman who is a terrible person, but it's not her fault, and in fact all men are evil rapists pedophiles.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: