City of Amnesia
May 17, 2024, 05:36:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Air  (Read 7515 times)
seraphjei
Bravo!

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

I finally saw it! Well, I saw it a month ago, but I just recently remembered about this thread.

Air was very unimpressive. At times, it looked as if it were on the track to grandeur, but within the confines of 13 episodes, the show had too many arcs and not enough time to make any of them 100% legit.

Kanon is the show you'll want to watch. In many ways, Air was just a spinoff of Kanon. It followed Kanon's formula, and it was in fact made by the same people. (In episode 3, the main characters of Kanon even have a cameo appearance!)

Joker, don't watch Air. Watch Kanon. If you want a show that has a sort of beautiful sadness, watch Kanon. It's a masterpiece, not a spinoff like Air.

I wonder if Seraphjei would agree with me on this one. I hope he sees this post.

This makes me curious. Have you seen Kanon, Paul1290?

Watch Kanon, you say? Huh...

I'd much rather watch a show with plenty of violence, maybe a dramatic subplot, and a booby or two. Can't I just watch that? Is it even possible to watch shows like this and retain your masculinity?
War.

You can't get more badass than Kanon.

Joking aside, the show isn't for everyone, but it's a good show nonetheless. I stick by R. Daniel's claim. I consider Kanon to be a masterpiece, on more than one level. With that said, I also recommend Clannad, which is the newest addition to the Kyotoani, key adaptation series.

As a side note, Air was probably the most inferior out of the three key adaptations. It's not because the story lacks substance, it's simply because at the time, not enough of the budget went into making the show as good as it could have been. Air had a lot of potential, but had to be the unfortunate victim of being chosen first by Kyoto Animation to be adapted into an anime.

IMO: Air > Kanon = Clannad

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 05:28:44 PM by seraphjei » Logged

Aeternum vale
My Girl
paul1290

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

This makes me curious. Have you seen Kanon, Paul1290?

Actually I have seen Kanon.

I do agree that Kanon does keep the storyline much better held together than Air.

However, I kind of preferred Air's more eccentric tone as well as it's tendancy to go off in wierd directions, which ironically seemed to be what you didn't like about it.

I have yet to see Clannad though.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

However, I kind of preferred Air's more eccentric tone as well as it's tendancy to go off in wierd directions, which ironically seemed to be what you didn't like about it.

I love weird directions! In fact, that eccentricity helps keep Air alive in my memory. But alongside that is the disappointment that Air didn't have enough development beneath the twists and the characters.

Air is like the skeleton of a great big creature, but it's Kanon that has the meat on its bones. 13 extra episodes makes a walloping difference.

(Air definitely has a better opening song, though!)

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to catch Clannad now, too.

This is amusing. We seem to be forming a romantic animé enclave within CoA.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:36:13 PM by R. Daniel Olk 01 » Logged

paul1290

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »

Is it even possible to watch shows like this and retain your masculinity?

Sure it is!

Unless, of course, you happen to be very insecure when it comes to your masculinity.  Cheesy

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »

I'm very secure. But these shows seem to have a hypnotic like effect of infecting people with a case of the effeminate.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: