City of Amnesia
May 18, 2024, 07:28:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Talkin' plot changes, from Maine to San Diego  (Read 8027 times)
coreyfarkas

« on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »

What is all this about the show being cancelled at 26 episodes?  The creators of the show created a general plot outline that consisted of 26 episodes.  26 episodes is the standard show run for animes (at least).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:55:53 PM by Hobo » Logged
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »

The initial plan was for 26 episodes, yes. However, the first season was cut down to only 13 episodes, and was rewritten as, basically, a series of monsters-of-the-week with an underlying plot that wasn't revealed until the last two Acts.

When TBOII started, Sunrise had to practically start over with their original plan, and tried to fit in as much of the story as possible over the course of a single cour.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
coreyfarkas

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

The initial plan was for 26 episodes, yes. However, the first season was cut down to only 13 episodes, and was rewritten as, basically, a series of monsters-of-the-week with an underlying plot that wasn't revealed until the last two Acts.

When TBOII started, Sunrise had to practically start over with their original plan, and tried to fit in as much of the story as possible over the course of a single cour.

Ok.  But that is still a 26 episode plan, just not exactly as they had planned.  After the initial run got cut in half they decided to leave it open ended in hopes it might provoke enough interest for someone else to pay for it to get finished.  What is even cooler is that it worked!
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »

Just jumpin in here... not even about Roger's age anymore but >.>

Don't forget that there was even plans for a Season 3 arc. The team had megadeus designs, plot ideas, etc. for a 3rd season that would have taken off after Act26 (perhaps not with same "rewind" ending, dunno)... but this didn't come to fruition, so there's definately more to the story that we don't know.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
coreyfarkas

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

Just jumpin in here... not even about Roger's age anymore but >.>

Don't forget that there was even plans for a Season 3 arc. The team had megadeus designs, plot ideas, etc. for a 3rd season that would have taken off after Act26 (perhaps not with same "rewind" ending, dunno)... but this didn't come to fruition, so there's definately more to the story that we don't know.

Where can on find these megadues designs or mentions of a season 3?
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »

*plans to get back on topic soon, I promise!*

These were revealed to us back on Paradigm-City forums quite a while ago (possibly 2004/5?). We don't know exactly what plot ideas they had, or what to expect in terms of giant robots but I think we found an interview or a press release that said the team had plenty more in store and pretty much had to crunch a 5 episode plot ending into 3 episodes (Acts24-26)... Like I said nothing specific came from that revelation aside from "If they did get funding for a season 3, they were prepared to start immediately".

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »

*plans to get back on topic soon, I promise!*

No need.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
paul1290

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »

There's that whole "epic" fight with the Behemoth.

It was wasn't even a fight at all!
It only lasted for few seconds and consisted of Big-O lifting the Behemoth into the air and it getting crushed by falling debris!  Angry
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:24:47 AM by paul1290 » Logged

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »

No doubt. The creators had two more seasons worth of stuff, and the horrid Behemoth fight was originally much longer from my understanding. Also the "low ratings" spiel that Lazzo and AS throw out is bogus, Big O did excellent as far as anime goes and it really boils down to Lazzo not wanting a 3rd season and the writers of of ATHF threated to quit is it got a 3rd season, or, so rumor has it.

Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »

Big O was funded by CN, so it had to be held to at least a similar standard as everything else they funded.

IE: kick the crap out of imported animation in ratings.

It didn't kick enough crap out of the ratings.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »

Big O was funded by CN, so it had to be held to at least a similar standard as everything else they funded.

IE: kick the crap out of imported animation in ratings.

It didn't kick enough crap out of the ratings.

Didn't it get like 800k viewers though? But I'm not 100% sure.

paul1290

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »

If I remember correctly, Big-O along with Cowboy Bebop were the only anime on Adult Swim to ever get ratings higher than comedy at some point.

coreyfarkas

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »

No doubt. The creators had two more seasons worth of stuff, and the horrid Behemoth fight was originally much longer from my understanding. Also the "low ratings" spiel that Lazzo and AS throw out is bogus, Big O did excellent as far as anime goes and it really boils down to Lazzo not wanting a 3rd season and the writers of of ATHF threated to quit is it got a 3rd season, or, so rumor has it.

If that is true, I hope Cartoon Network did not make any decisions based on that threat.  At least Big O! has a point, but a talking meatball, a side of fries, and a soda pop that sit around all day talking to their overweight and lazy neighboor donot need to be on the air. 

Ahh, the good old days.  I began watching Adult Swim when it first started, before it was called Adult Swim (I cannot remember it had a name or not).  Remember the little ads inbetween commercials with the Old people floating in pools?  Remember when they had quality programming?  Ahhh yes.... Good Shows.  It is too bad people do not care about quality and relevance any more. Sad
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:29 AM »

If that is true, I hope Cartoon Network did not make any decisions based on that threat.  At least Big O! has a point, but a talking meatball, a side of fries, and a soda pop that sit around all day talking to their overweight and lazy neighboor donot need to be on the air. 

ATHF makes them gobs and gobs of money.

So it has more of a reason to be on-air than a show that doesn't make them nearly as much.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:42 AM »

but a talking meatball, a side of fries, and a soda pop that sit around all day talking to their overweight and lazy neighboor donot need to be on the air.

ATHF is pointless but it is funny, but you are right AS has gone way down hill over the years. Since they picked up King of the Hill, I will forgive them for airing Tom Goes to Mayor and Tim and Eric, as well as Family Guy with stop motion animation (Robot Chicken)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: