City of Amnesia
March 29, 2024, 01:07:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The convention thread!  (Read 7868 times)
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« on: July 27, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

This thread is for the whole "Hey, what convention do you, are you, might you go to?"

Example, back in March, I hit up KawaKon here in STL, then A&G Ohio the next weekend. Sometime...April maybe...I staffed Anime St. Louis....

Coming up, I'm going to be a Guest at Gencon as well as a Guest at Natsucon the following weekend. Any of you hit up the con life?

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »

No sadly. I want to go to comic con, but I don't have money. My friend wants me to go to mangacon with him next month, and the local gaming and animecon at the bookstore 2 towns over.

That about sums up my con habits.

Shall I grant your wish?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »

Had it not been scheduled on the date of my wedding anniversary (July 30th), I would have considered heading up to Toronto for the TFCon Transformers convention. However, there is a comic con coming up soon, so maybe I'll go to that. I went to the last comic/toy show - "The Pittsburgh, Toy Comic and Childhood Collectibles Show", also known as the "Steel City Con". It has a nice ring to it. Unfortunately, no comics I liked, and although Adam West and the Batmobile were there, autographs and pictures cost too much for me (and no personal picture taking). However, I did buy a nice little souvenir, so not too bad I guess...
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »

Sorry to double-post, but this thread hasn't been active in a while, and I wanted to post this while it was still "fresh".

On the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, I went to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival in... not Pittsburgh, but about 30-40 minutes away in West Newton, Pennsylvania (about 30 minutes from our house)... Hot temperatures, like near 90 degrees. Fortunately, we snuck in water bottles. Twice... Would have saved $6 with coupons, but forgot them at home.  Oh well, we still entered the "Free Gas" contest. (Isn't that odd? A free gas contest at a festival celebrating a time when real "horse-power" was appreciated...  Grin) At least we didn't forget the sunscreen and bottle water. Wanted to try a beer at the tavern...but way too hot for beer. Way to hot for hot food, too, so I got a cool chicken wrap.

Yuko, you would have liked the sword/axe shop, with the LOTR "Not Sting" Sting-esque sword. I didn't buy anything, but wished I had bought/brought a prop sword/axe/etc. We also saw a great comedy duo, and an awesome escape artist (escaping locks and several feet of chain, over a straight jacket - awesome!).

P.S. Although it was unbearably hot on Saturday, I'm glad we went then, because Sunday and Monday had near-constant downpours. I doubt they made much money on Labor Day weekend.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:39:43 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:48 AM »

Double post not scolded for. Personally, I agree with the "keeping things fresh" thing.

In October, the company I work for, Nexus Gaming Alliance ( http://www.ngagamers.com ) runs a con called NerdPOW that will be taking place at the end of October. I won't be there for that one, because I'll be working a haunted house, but after that is Nebraskon, and it looks like NGA will be hosting the game room there (which if they are, I get a free Hi-Def TV), but if they don't, I still end up working as Security. I know the girl that runs the con. That's my last scheduled con for the year. Then A&G Ohio in March ( http://www.aandgohio.com ) where I'm one of the heads of staff. For anyone interested, weekend badges are $20 before December 1, 2011.

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:37:14 PM »

Sounds cool Char. I wish I had more time/friends to devote to gaming... (I kind of miss the semi-weekly Nuclear War card games my friends used to have. - Every cruise missile I turned up would be announced as "Yes, ladies and gentleman, it's time for a little NUCLEAR HOT-POTATO"! Place it at the player next to you. It moves to a new person with each of your turns. At any time during your turn, you can say if it goes "BOOM!")

Michael McConnohie, Richard Epcar, & "Master Chief" (Steve Downes)?!? Dude, that's going to be cool! Have fun!

I didn't want to wait to long to post about my visit to last weekend's Steele City Con in Monroeville, PA. Unfortunately, I was only an attendee with all the rights (or lack of) therein. A minor oversight made me miss possibly meeting Anthony Daniels (C-3PO's voice) - he was only there Saturday. Billy Dee Williams (Lando) and his son Corey Dee Williams (Klaatu, but without makeup, looked like a young Lando) were there, but I only wanted Billy's autograph, and I was warned that he "did not look happy". So, I wandered aimlessly. I bought one collectible (fair price), won nothing (as usual), and got a free item coupon for the Monroeville Mall's collectible shop. They were clearing out old Star Trek merchandise, and I got a free Chris Pine Captain Kirk!

I got two cellphone pictures, but as usual, no time to post. Check back here, though, I might soon post them...
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »

The next con I'm going to is one I'm helping out with. It's lil otoyko Kentucky con. Which is in may. And in June we have Kentoyko con. I get a workers pass to both because I'm a PR rep for Bluegrass Otaku. If you guys want and are in the area come on by.

Shall I grant your wish?
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »

Nanocon's coming up at the end of March. It's a small convention, put on by a couple of the student organizations at the university I attend, in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Unfortunately, there isn't too much going on, but I will be running the anime room, including a screening of Redline, and hopefully one other licensed movie.

Not very exciting, but technically, it's a convention?

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »

Then A&G Ohio in March ( http://www.aandgohio.com ) where I'm one of the heads of staff. For anyone interested, weekend badges are $20 before December 1, 2011.
True story. One of us MFLers was there, and he did me a rather awesome favor.

We met up at Tekkoshocon in Pittsburgh last week (where he gave me back my card), and fun was had... especially the giant robot panels. Sorry to hear that A&G Con had issues with their host, Tekkoshocon had issues this year that shocked everyone... needless to say they're not using the same hotel for a third year!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:18:37 AM by Professor Vogler » Logged

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:46:45 AM »

I'mma be at MTAC this weekend helping out with my group. I'll be the only girl in the Bluegrass otaku group, so you can't miss me. If your there come see me.

Shall I grant your wish?
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

That Avenger's screening back on May 3rd felt like a convention. Lots of people. One viewer even dressed up for it. (Well, not quite. He had a Captain America hoodie - where the hood is actually the Captain America mask - but, he left the hood down. What's the fun in that?) My brother-in-law thought it was going to be an "old school" viewing, where they just hand out tons of free stuff. Not so...
  • One poster per person on entrance.
  • Shortly after we took our seats (and we took turns leaving, so as not to give up our seats), my brother-in-law spots a table at the front with free things. He ended up with a free pin set.

Apparently, I also missed a Free Comic Book Day on May 5th. A new free Transformers comic was given out. Fortunately, my brother-in-law snagged one free issue for me just this last weekend.

Even though it's not a convention per se, are any of you going to participate in "Towel Day", which is this Friday?
Towel Day - Celebrating the life and work of Douglas Adams
Wikipedia - Towel Day
"Towel Day" Article from "The Huffington Post"

I have a small towel, which will nicely fit into my backpack. Unfortunately, no drinking Pan-Galactic Gargleblasters at work, so I'll just have to make due with Advanced Tea Substitute...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:23:56 AM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

Damn, I didn't even know such a thing as Towel Day existed. Though I didn't go out much Friday, so I guess my towel wasn't too far out of reach.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »

I was at Forgecon in Kentucky if anyone else was there. I was the girl running around in a link hat and steam punk clothes.

I just got my internet back today and have not forgotten that I need to post my Big O ending thingy. Too tired to post it right now, but I will do so soon.

Shall I grant your wish?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: