City of Amnesia
April 25, 2024, 02:41:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you think?
TeH BIG O SUX!!1 INUYASHA BETTR!1 - 1 (4.2%)
The references are a strength. - 19 (79.2%)
Doesn't matter. - 4 (16.7%)
The references are its weakness. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The references in Big O...  (Read 24707 times)
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »

Point taken.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
The Ghost Of Ember
In ur maze, killin' ur pac-man

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 03:35:10 PM »

A strength, but I feel it just as easily could have been a weakness. Mostly I think what makes the main difference is not only the execution, but the sheer amount and depth of references. If they had been stretched too thin, if they had only referenced things from the sixties and cut out the references to philosophy, or the allusions to romantic era written works, or the classical music, or... Well, I could go one. It strikes a careful balance, avoiding being a ripoff of any one thing, while still managing to be it's own story, instead of being more than just a cobbling together of various tropes. It manages to be it's own work while being a gateway to many great works of the past. Which I can't see as anything but a strength.

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »

It's Batman with mecha. That's the gist of it.
War.

Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »

Quote from: 19
It's Batman with mecha. That's the gist of it.
War.
YOU FAIL.

It's more than that. It also has Jesus.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Galatea
The Ultimate

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »

And just for laughs, my younger brother acualy thought Sunrise acualy hires Freddie Mercury to sing the Season one theme! LOL

Lol, and he can somehow speak japanese.

I think the overall combination of the references made a good strength as the combination of awesome elements like batman like themes with mecha, film noir, little red riding hood (and jesus lol) made something new and sort of unique, it's a bit like making a new cake, you get the coco pops and put them around the icing of a chocolate mud cake to make a yummy chocolate crunchy cake. You can't say it's a rip off of a chocolate crackle and you can't say it stole off the idea of a mud cake. No one would care and it would sell for a good price and be totally worth it (like big O!

Big Duo Enthusiest
Big Duo, Big Duo Kaizer Duo Trinity-not bigo.d.f.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 07:46:31 PM »

Wow, ok, there seems to be a little missconception of Christ's role in Big-O. First, when Rosewater mention that Heaven's Day was nothing more than  Christ's Birth, he was just showing a memory. Second, the whole double dose of Religeon pumped into the second season was just to make it more Apopcoliptical. Acualy, the megadeuses being "the sacred chariots of mankind" and "the power of God Created by man" was this, they were sacred because no one can just buy megadeuses left and right, inless you are Beck because he controled Dorothy 2, Beck the Great RX3, and his signature robot...the Beck Victory Deluxe. Second, the megadeuses are called the powe of God created by man because as you can tell, the Paradigm Corporation dosen't have relly that much defence, except for some tanks, the megadeuses are the only thing that can relly have a major effect when causing destruction. And third, there can't really be a third season. Because if you put the pieces togeather, the Big-O is acualy a long movie directed by Angel and procuced and Stars Roger Smith and Co Stars Dorothy. The Amnesia was created because a movie got intelegence to wonder about a prequel and what happened before the film. And the whole bar code thing-Bar Code is translated into binary and Binary is the same stuff that DVD players read. So if you want a seaquel, it would have to be that the characters in the film find out what happens in the REAL WORLD. And besides, if there is a religeous theme in Big-O, the Roman Catholic Church would be complaining by now. And sorry if offend anyone with that message, but I am Catholic too and the Church dose get upset with such work. And besides, they did this with heavy metal music, and they got lots of power. So all in all, it is just another reffrence to pop culture to films in the seventies and Eighties about Christianity being wrong, wich is an original Idea from grail myths and first used in Horror films in John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness (PDM).

making a new one
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 07:58:50 PM »

And third, there can't really be a third season. Because if you put the pieces togeather, the Big-O is acualy a long movie directed by Angel and procuced and Stars Roger Smith and Co Stars Dorothy. The Amnesia was created because a movie got intelegence to wonder about a prequel and what happened before the film.
You sir, have just lost me. ...and I've made some whooper theories in my time.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Big Duo Enthusiest

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »

Ok, in the last episode, there are little flashes of Angel sitting infront of some tv monitors with tears crawling down her face , and Roger and Dorothy standing behind her. Those monitors are showing the last moments of the episode! So it would be safe to hypothisise that this is just one big movie. And the book Metropolis or whatever it is called is the script for the Big-O wich the director, Angel, made. But some how angel wrote the script as this-what if a movie with fictional charachters with no past wonder about the past. And no matter how much they discover, the truth will never be discovered and just like how the second season ended, the series keeps repeating itself.

making a new one
Mike
soap

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:06 PM »

We decided that interpretation was really lame, because it meant that nothing that happened in the show actually meant anything.
The Ghost Of Ember
In ur maze, killin' ur pac-man

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »

Quote from: 31
Ok, in the last episode, there are little flashes of Angel sitting infront of some tv monitors with tears crawling down her face , and Roger and Dorothy standing behind her. Those monitors are showing the last moments of the episode! So it would be safe to hypothisise that this is just one big movie. And the book Metropolis or whatever it is called is the script for the Big-O wich the director, Angel, made. But some how angel wrote the script as this-what if a movie with fictional charachters with no past wonder about the past. And no matter how much they discover, the truth will never be discovered and just like how the second season ended, the series keeps repeating itself.

Or, as I believe Lady Tesser so eloquently put it, 'Big O is Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.'

While it is a perfect valid interpretation, and I think there's a good deal of touching on that idea within the series, the problem is that the end itself. While Roger does redo his intro from the beginning, things have clearly changed in this world, as indicated by Angel and Dorothy standing together. If this interpretation were correct, then everything would be completely rewound because the characters are nothing more than stumbling cardboard men, attempting to figure out the world of the play and always failing because the play is already written and they can do nothing more. I think it's more of a 'All the worlds a stage, but that doesn't mean every audition is the same,' type dealio.

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 09:06:49 PM »

Quote from: 6
YOU FAIL.

It's more than that. It also has Jesus.

So does Batman.
War.

Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 09:17:43 PM »

Quote from: 19

So is Batman.
War.

Fix'd

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »

Incidentally, "Its the day God's son was born" seems to be one of the bits we get in season 1 about Alex's God Complex, and not really in support or against any of the later religious overtones.

At least, that's the way I see it.

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »

Quote from: 32

Fix'd

Of course, how could I miss that?
War.

Big Duo Enthusiest

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »

Hey, talking about refrences to Big O, who liked Giant Robo? Or another refence Testujin 28?

making a new one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: