City of Amnesia
April 18, 2024, 05:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An Archetype action figure  (Read 3361 times)
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« on: September 24, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »

I was just surfing Big O images on the googles and I came across this site

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=72&show_article=192

It's an Archetype action figure, along with a slightly different version of the Big Duo action figure. It's not Duo Inferno, but the original.

This was going to be sold in the USA for about $9.99. So why, if Bandai had some of these made, did they not sell it in the USA? These action figures where for U.S. release only if I read the article right.

The Big Duo was released. But the smaller Archetype toy and 4"/6" action figures where not sold period. Why!? I would so have wasted my allowance on those. I would have bought all of 'em.

Anyway, just thought this deserved to be posted.

Shall I grant your wish?
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »

It's a mystery. I never knew that they had planned an Archetype model. I own Big Duo (unfortunately, not the Roger & Angel w/ wing extensions that came with the set) and the Big O model  (one freestanding and the other still in-box thanks to PCF Wink ).

Big O was originally made to be a toy, and the show was supposedly produced to help market an action figure. With such a plethora of mechs (the "monster of the week" giving us a healthy number of robots) I don't know why only two ever went into production... and then only Big O was produced in any sort of healthy amount (Big Duo was a limited run, and Big O had the additional assembly-required model). The "coin" figure sets had some amazing detail, albeit imposable figures and even included Dorothy-1.

Supposedly, Big Duo and Fau were supposed to be made along with a new O back in... what? 2005? Never got out of the prototype phase. The only success since then has been the Soul of Chogokin model (fully articulated die-cast model) along with a limited run expansion set (O-Thunder and Hip Anchor add on with alternate "faceless" head). Both are exceedingly expensive, and completely worth it (I still need to buy the expansion). I can only hope that Soul of Chogokin (also made by Bandai?!) decides to make Big Duo or... better yet, Big Fau. Hell, I'd even take Beck Victory Deluxe!!

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:11:19 AM »

Right with yeah there Professor Volger.

My thinking is that if they still have the casts to make these sets then Bandai should do so. Not only would the sales amount up to what would be the cost of a few ova episodes, it would cover, if what AS has said can be taken as truth, the production cost of Big O season 2.

Hell, if I had the money I'd so blow it on the $218 used Big O complete maniac's collectors kit from Amazon, and I'd get the $150 chogokin and + the $25 extra sets.

Oh, and if you really want a Beck Victory Deluxe you may get the chance to own one. If I read a Japanese Bandai chogokin blog right they are thinking of releasing one with Big Fau and Big Duo, along with the Beck model.

Turns out demand from other countries for Big O related things has increased recently. France alone has had somewhere of upwards of 20+ blogs and forums wondering why Bandai never released season 2 over there. I have some qualms with the french, but they seem to be getting the anime thing down right. I have found Korean and Chinese blogs asking why it was never fan-dubbed if it was unofficially subbed in those countries. You can download Big O in Chinese, with much difficulty, from a Chinese download service called, PPlive. If my hard drive hadn't died I'd still have it.

BTW, the Chinese name for The Big O is Chu Da O. Or "Big robot O". Yeah, I'm trilingual, bite me.

Anyway, I'm hoping Bandai Toy/Model department doesn't flake on this. The Beck Deluxe was slated for 2010 December and was priced at about $120. And Fau/Duo where set for sometime in January of 2011. It was in a rumors blog, but seeing as the Big O chogokin model sold better then expected in Japan, but they might actually do it. Big O sold out of pre-orders and Bandai made about 1000 more if I read right. All have sold. Things are looking up for our favorite megadues.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:46:48 PM by Yuko-san » Logged

Shall I grant your wish?
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »

If you can get me a scan of that article (or link to that exact post), I'll have a friend of mine (expert at all things Japanese action figures) look at it and see what's what. We followed the Soul of Chogokin release very carefully, so we're baffled as to why no other press released have been made about new Big O figures.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »

Like I said it was only a rumor.
I'll see if I can find the article again. After my hard drive fired I lost a lot of Big O material I had to re-find, but this article is still alluding me.

Oh yeah. I should also see if I can find the Big O bust models. I saw a Japanese web-site with fan made busts of of Dorothy, both Rosewaters and Norman. He said his next project was Roger. I'll see if I can find it.

Ah ha! I found the models, I'm still looking for the Chogokin model.

http://www.abiraun.com/gallery/gordon.htm
http://www.abiraun.com/gallery/dorothy.html
http://www.abiraun.com/gallery/alex.htm

Can't find Norman. But I got these.

Edit again I just found Big ear.
http://www.abiraun.com/gallery/bigears.htm

Turns out the guy who owns abiraun collects un-released toys. So that would explain why he has a Big O un-released Busts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:08:30 PM by Yuko-san » Logged

Shall I grant your wish?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: