City of Amnesia
April 18, 2024, 11:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this idea even be possible?  (Read 10879 times)
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »

Moving from purely procedural languages to object-oriented programming can be a bit jarring (I hope you're not used to goto), but often much more useful. That is, unless you're planning to learn COBOL and go into legacy software support, but I've heard there's actually some demand for programmers with those skills.

I've been working with mostly dynamic scripting languages lately, though not Python. Never used Alice, but just reading the blurb on the home page makes it sound terrible if you've had any previous experience programming. Good luck with Python/C++.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
R. Jesse

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »

Best. Thread. Ever.

Some time earlier this year, I was struck by a most interesting realization. I have scripted and coded IRC AI bots for some years. When I say AI, I obviously mean something that imitates humans rather than anything sentient. Additionally, the vast majority of things I have put together are nothing more than intricate trolling tools (such as bots designed to imitate the behaviors of schizophrenics and rant 24/7 for days on end). My realization was that, however basic these things may be, that if I could connect them to hardware I would have real robots. My problems are as follows: I don't have the money for motors or other parts, nor do I have the level of programming knowledge to connect a program to hardware, nor do I have the motivation to sit down for a few hours and learn (I'm a lazy bum).

Two friends of mine (Zola from PCF and her roommate) have both the technical know how and the dedication to produce at least prototype androids, but they do not presently hold the resources for any major projects. I followed their work obsessively as a child and as a teenager, and as an adult ultimately drew the conclusion that the world has made a terrible mistake in neglecting such geniuses and that it's a lack of investment, not technical problems, which has prevented the emergence of androids.

As for you, Yuko-san, I wish you well with this project. I would like to make a recommendation: have the robot record everything it sees, everything it hears, everything it does. I do not believe it will take a century for us to learn how the human brain works and recreate it. Your creation, if it were to be upgraded to sentience in the future, would thus have an extensive memory on which to base its identity.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »

Maybe when I'm done with trig and programming this semester I will have a small chance to do this. My plan has always been to build a small childsized robot if I got the chance. I have some parts that could be used (scrap metal and old comp parts are a poor robotists best friends), it is merely time and programming knowledge I don't have as of yet.

Also ebay is a good place to get some parts, as well as my friend that has a small computer fixing store. He has tons of old parts I could get and use.

Shall I grant your wish?
Wazpy

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

Yuko, I demand you start this project! It must be done.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »

I need to, but I changed from robotics to programming as my major. Which will make it easier to program it I guess. I can build small robots but I'll definitely need help. Like making a body chase for the animatron to fit in. I'll get started on the programming when my school work load lightens up.

Shall I grant your wish?
Wazpy

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

Still interested in hearing about this.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: