City of Amnesia
March 29, 2024, 07:34:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well why was that never mentioned? (translation errors in anime)  (Read 13666 times)
The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:18 AM »

In Japanese anime almost every anime aimed at teenagers + has large amounts of cursing. But since Americans seem a little put off by it then it's usually translated to less harsh wording.

Any Gurren Lagann fans will definitely agree with this. Maybe I'll see what words they use...

Also readerman, Kuuso is shit. Kuso is fuck. But most Japanese speakers say the second u in Kuuso in a short cut off tone, so they sound alike. And the way I typed it earlier is a polite way of asking if someone wants intercourse, without sounding rude.

This I can believe because of the letters run together in a phrase used in Transformers Headmasters for "Roger, Sir":

They use yokai mishta - Which I thought was borrowed English abbreviation "OK" and english word "Mister". Well I was half right...However, it took me a while to research it, due to the fact that I only heard the phrase, and therefore ended up mispelling it. It's "ryoukai misuta"...
"Ryoukai" literally means "to understand or comprehend", so I can see it also meaning "OK"... "Misuta" literally means "Mister", but since "Sir" and "Mister" are synonyms, I think "misuta" is close enough... Both these still sound like borrowed words. Anyhow the point is "misuta" is pronounced "mishta".

Indy 500 racer Hiro Matsushita's name is pronounced in a similar way: with letters run together. The announcers always said "MahSHOOsta". They also said his grandfather founded a large successful Japanese electrics company, and that's why he was able to pursue a career in pricy Indy-car racing (that being Matsushita Electronics, or Panasonic), but I never made the connection until I saw his name spelled out.
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »

Any Gurren Lagann fans will definitely agree with this. Maybe I'll see what words they use...

They kept mentioning drills in every episode and I'm just like "Man this is the strangest ad for an oil company."
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 06:41:34 AM »

If only they uncovered transforming mecha and not ecological disasters.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »

If only they uncovered combining mecha and not ecological disasters.

>_>

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »

I think Bible Black

Theres some youtube of the hilarious dubbing in this. Apparently at one point somebody just tazes somebody else randomly
Heh...Bible Black...that show, while I have fun watching it...is all kinds of random kinky shit.

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »

I'm supposed to feel bad for the nuke why

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:39:20 AM »

If only they uncovered combining mecha and not ecological disasters.

>_>

They do rather transform as they combine. Conceptually, their combination is not merely an addition 3 STR+3 STR, but an entire paradigm shift in their abilities; thus, I still consider them transforming. Being suddenly bathed in green light and gaining the size and ability to hurl galaxies is a transformation. The ship transforms into a body.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: