City of Amnesia
April 25, 2024, 03:39:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt  (Read 24395 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »

Anybody else seen GAINAX's masterful tribute to Power Puff Girls/ ecchi monster slaughterfest of amusing magnitude?

Divine retribution of the Bitchy Angels! Repent!

I've seen it surmised that the American style is a sign that GAINAX is out to troll the Weaboo. I have no idea what motivated them to switch it up, but I assume it was merely for the sake of diversifying their portfolio. Now if some American studio approached GAINAX as a result, I would lol.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:47:28 PM by R. Daniel 01 » Logged

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »

My opinion on Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is pretty much the same as the guys on the ANNcast. It's pretty god damn stupid and I REALLY wish the fans of the show would stop comparing it to South Park. South Park is generally satire. Pany and Stocking feels more like something Adult Swim would create complete with the sheer randomness and "humor" you'd expect.

I will give Gainax one thing. It's nice to see a Japanese studio break out of the generic design mold for a change and even if I hate the show, I hope it's successful and encourages more Japanese studio to try new stuff.

Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

Graham cracka be hatin'.

Not that I actually have an opinion.
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »

I see the logic behind the comparison. The show is mildly offensive. It's more cynical than satirical, though. Maybe that's where these fans get confused: they perceive any kind of subversive message and lump it all together.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »

I see the logic behind the comparison. The show is mildly offensive. It's more cynical than satirical, though. Maybe that's where these fans get confused: they perceive any kind of subversive message and lump it all together.

They do it with any show they perceive to be "edgy". I know the Hetalia dub get's compared to South Park all the time for it's Jew jokes and what not even if it is par for the course Funimation failure. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are trained comedy writers, the guys at Funimation, not so much.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »

I know they went to college, but I don't quite understand the phrase "trained comedy writers."

And how can anyone not love the special effects at the end of nearly every episode?

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »

GOD MY OOHH!!!!!

...so yeah, I watched through all of PSG, and at first I think after 1/2 of the first episode my friends and I said "Never speak of this again". The show just kept getting more bizarre in the comments everywhere else (YouTube, TVtropes, forums) that I ended up watching the rest by myself. It's a really "on the border" show. I'm fairly sure the Japanese have no idea the magnitude of what they've done, but maybe they'll find out after the second season airs. ....yeah.... it's getting a season season.

This is Gainax one-upping South Park and American cartoons in a way only the Japanese could. Modern American cartoons are known for being quite dirty and raunchy, I'm fairly sure this is a precision jab at that. Though with that said, they manage to poke jabs at Japanese Anime institutions as well.

Oh, and for the record the big "holy crap" moment for me (in terms of revelations about PSG, not the per-minute "HOLY CRAP" from shock and awe) is that the villainous pair of the show went from "we WILL take over this city" into Team Rocket-status the very next episode.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »

I know they went to college, but I don't quite understand the phrase "trained comedy writers."

And how can anyone not love the special effects at the end of nearly every episode?

Experienced comedy writers would probably be a better way to describe Parker and Stone, my bad.

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

My opinion on Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is pretty much the same as the guys on the ANNcast. It's pretty god damn stupid and I REALLY wish the fans of the show would stop comparing it to South Park. South Park is generally satire. Pany and Stocking feels more like something Adult Swim would create complete with the sheer randomness and "humor" you'd expect.

I will give Gainax one thing. It's nice to see a Japanese studio break out of the generic design mold for a change and even if I hate the show, I hope it's successful and encourages more Japanese studio to try new stuff.

So GAINAX pulled a Lazo and shat something up?

I have never seen this, and from what I've read it seems to dirty to be on youtube. Then again Ding fry's are done is on youtube, but it's not a dirty song or video. So do I need redtube to view this?

Shall I grant your wish?
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »

I give the Victory Crown to Vogler. His confidence and truthiness won me over from Graham's dark side.

GOD! MY! OHHHH!

So do I need redtube to view this?
Yuko, you greenhorn. Just go to gogoanime or animefushigi or any NUMBER of similar sites. Must I always save you?

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

O.O Ok then. I use zanime. I'll see if it's there.

Shall I grant your wish?
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

IRC is usually the fastest way to get new anime, but that's a whole other topic.
It's also available from Crunchyroll, uncensored, but you do need an account, which is free.

I should catch up; haven't even gotten to these "villains".

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »

Considering the name and subject matter

Is this like FLCL, where gainax got pissed for having to do a show then just went in the opposite direction and its meant as a jokey thing

Or is this a show about lolis and stockings. If its the latter I have to again ask why we maintain diplomatic relations with Japan.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »

a show about lolis and stockings. If its the latter I have to again ask why we maintain diplomatic relations with Japan.

That and a gay black dude, and copious amounts crap streaming forward. It's basically Japan trying, and failing, to imitate dull and unfunny Adult Swim crap.

Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:07:11 AM »

a show about lolis and stockings. If its the latter I have to again ask why we maintain diplomatic relations with Japan.

That and a gay black dude, and copious amounts crap streaming forward. It's basically Japan trying, and failing, to imitate dull and unfunny Adult Swim crap.
No I'm pretty sure Gainax succeeded (also there is no lolicon, since they are adult aged "women"). This is Gainax's parody of the world's perception of American cartoons... and it's fairly spot on. Mix American cartoons crude and dirty humor with Japanese crude and dirty humor (and really weird censorship laws) and you get PSG. Thankfully though it's better than Family Guy or American Dad since it isn't degenerate, unfortunately that's not saying much since pretty much anything's better than Family Guy. PSG goes beyond even South Park with its vulgarity.

The fact that this show ended with a normal ending then a "Gainax ending" stinger so Gainax that even the main characters knew they were trolled AND it's getting a second season... all of it, really speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:09:08 AM by Professor Vogler » Logged

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: