City of Amnesia
May 18, 2024, 02:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Love - A procedurally generated MMO, made by a one-man development team.  (Read 7779 times)
paul1290

« on: December 04, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »

Love is an upcoming MMO being developed by Eskill Steenburg.

Each server will support up to 200 players and be a mini-planet of sorts featuring procedurally generated terrain that changes based on what occurs in that particular server. Players can create structures such as houses and building by carving them out of the terrain.

Stories in games are rigid and stale, because no team, no matter its size, can create content for all the things players may want to do. Stories are prepared long in advance and is something you follow, not something you create. Love is different.

Love is the story
In Love the story is not something that is "Pre-scripted" but something that is organically created while you play. By using Procedural algorithms the game can constantly generate new events and content for you to explore. By being generated while you play, the experience can be tailored to your play style and respond to your actions. This is not a game where you are being lead down a path, this is a game where you decide the direction of the story.

Stories are all around
If you have ever played a multiplayer game you have stories, stories of how you where the last survivor on your team, stories of how you captured the flag just before the timer ran out, stories of luck and failure. Love takes that kind of emerging story creation and expands it to a long lasting canon. Love is not a game you beat, is a world that is constantly changing. The game ebbs and flows, and how the story of the game proceeds depends on how the players respond to what the game does. Characters will remember what you do and it will color their views of you. Loves characters are driven by a innovative "Emotional" AI that can react to your actions with an emotional core. They may fear, hate, be curios, sad or even love other characters. Chose your actions well, they may give you both allied and enemies.

All you need is to nurture it
The game is based on a powerful procedural engine that creates a dynamic world that can be changed over time by players, characters, and the passing of time. The game can generate new landscapes, buildings, cities, secrets, characters and even networks of infrastructure and puzzles. With these tools the game has all the necessary components to create new story structures of adversity, glory and tragedy. If game chooses it can dynamically build a new city, introduce new characters or generate puzzles as the players are playing the game. To strengthen the lore of the game, important events and people will give name to places, Your actions will leave the trail of what you build or the ruins of what you destroy. As you return again and again new events will have created new things to discover, something made by either man or the passing of time.

Love is played form a first person view, because you should see the world not yourself. The controls of Love are designed to be a simple as possible to let you engage more in the story. Not dumbed down, but purified. All the mechanics designed to act as story devices to help the narrative. Each server has about 200 people registered, but as the same people comeback again and again you can make friends and get story continuity. With so few players you can get to know most of them and you can matter to the world. When you go to play Love its not just to see what is going to happen, its to see what has happened since your last play session too.

Shared World
In the world you can find a "Token" that lets you create a settlement. In this settlement the terrain is deformable so that you can build houses, caves of what ever else you want. Other players ca join your settlement to help you develop it and protect it. When you go out in the world you can find other tokens that you can put in your settlement giving you new tools and things you can build. Once a token has been placed in a settlement any one in that settlement can use it so all resources are shared among the community. If you bring in new Tokens to the community it will matter for everyone not just you. This system forms the basis of the social gaming structure of Love, as players are never competing against each other and are always playing against AI characters.

Building Structure
The building system lets you not only deform the terrain and place out object like trees, it also lets you lets you create infrastructure. Various object can be connected to work together by setting Coordinates, Radio frequencies and keywords. For instance you can set up a sensor, that sends a keyword over a radio frequency to open a door. This system is also used by infrastructure built by AI characters. By studying infrastructure the players can "hack" it by sending commands over the right frequencies. This system lets players build intricate relation sips, but it also sets up plot as the players will need to manipulate enemy installations, like deactivating shields, opening doors, and cut power to enemy weapons.

http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/index.html

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMX69Priad8

I like how independant game developer like to try all sorts of new ideas but this guy takes it to a new extreme. 

Supposedly he's some kind of one-man game development team doing it all with little no funding or support. The game as well as the game engine, artwork, networking, are all being done by Eskil Steenburg himself. Heck, lot of the development tools he's using to design the game are tools he made himself. It's simply incredible how much he's been able to get done so far.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

That's actually pretty damn awesome. The big name companies could learn a thing or two from the smaller independent guys.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:51:42 PM »

Sounds pretty ambitious, yet reads like it was written by someone whose first language isn't English. It'll be interesting to see if this guy will be able to pull it off.

The use of "procedural" seems a bit odd, though.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
paul1290

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »

The technologies this game is built on are very facinating as well.

It appears that a lot of this game is built on something else Eskil Steenberg helped developed called Verse.

Verse is a network standard that a allows graphics applications to share data in real-time. It means that two or more independent applications can share the same data. If you make a change in one you immediately see the change in the other. It is a free and open source system that can be integrated in to any graphics application to allow them to share data. You can collaborate with other users over the Internet, use it for content pipe-lining, games, VR, simulation and much much more.

Supposedly Verse will be used a lot in the game itself, which potentially means any changes in the terrain or objects in-game will be visible to all users in real time.

I guess you have to familiar with how video games tend to work to realize how significant this is, so here's a simplified explanation. Most online games need to have all textures, objects, and maps already loaded on every player's machine in order for everything to work properly. If a player is missing a certain object, texture, or map then they will have to either download it somehow, or in some cases play with that object not present. (Anyone who has tried to play on CSS or Garry's Mod modded servers without the proper files knows what this is like.) While developers have found ways to work around this problem, they've always had to make compromises.

However, by implementing Verse into the game itself, Eskil may have found a way to solve the problem itself without using up unreasonable amounts of bandwidth. Changes to the map, textures, and objects can potentially be distributed to all players immediately during the game without the need to create a new file and have everyone download it beforehand.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:26:41 PM by paul1290 » Logged

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »

Looking at this now, it reminds me of an up-rezzed Minecraft. I guess it wasn't as interactive, though.

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »

can you still play minecraft beta?

Shall I grant your wish?
paul1290

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »

Well, I decided to visit again so I guess I might as well give a bit of an update on this since I've been playing Love for over a year now. Actually a lot of the stuff from my original post is very outdated and quite a bit of it turned out to be wrong from the start.  Grin

First of all, Love isn't really an MMO. It isn't "massive" in the sense that a regular MMO is and was never designed to be, it focuses on much smaller groups of players.
It wasn't designed to handle "massive" numbers of players. Currently it can only support up to a few hundred at most.

Looking at this now, it reminds me of an up-rezzed Minecraft. I guess it wasn't as interactive, though.

Not quite.

Having played both, Love doesn't share much in common with Minecraft beyond the way in which players can build things. Of course, in both games that's just a means to an end, end the end are very different.
Building is not the main point of Love, it's just one way in which players interact with the world. I would even go so far to say that I feel the emphasis on building things in Love seems to have decreased somewhat as other gameplay mechanics and systems have been added.

Love is not a sandbox game, it's is about players interacting with the world and the AI. The world and the AI have to be able to affect the players just as much as if not more than the players can affect them. This by itself means a lot less sandbox-like freedom. Love has goals and objectives like a more directed game, but they're more fluid and emergent.

On an interesting side note, Eskil Steenberg and Markus Persson do know each other in real life.

As mentioned earlier big part of what Love is about is players interacting with the world and the AI and those interactions being as emergent and dynamic as possible. Very little is pre-scripted in Love and nearly all goals and tasks in Love are either emergent and/or procedurally generated.

For example, one time our settlements forcefield got destroyed and needed to be replaced as a result of an attack by the AI tribe known as the Omprelly Enclave (players usually call them the blue people). The blue people attacked us because we fought with them previously and made them hostile towards us. We did this because the Glindra Traders (a.k.a. the yellow people) requested our help in fighting them, and we chose to do so. The yellow people probably got angry towards the blue people because the blue people stole their tokens earlier. The blue people probably stole tokens from the yellow people because they happened to settle down in close proximity to them and the world builder made the area without any major obstacles between them, and so on and so forth.

Most games that try to generate things randomly seem monotonous because they are random, you have things happening without much of a cause.
In Love there are also elements of randomness, but because there are many systems affecting with each other by the time the effect of the randomness reaches the players, it often has a chain of cause and effect behind it that the players can understand like the one described above. When you have cause and effect, not only does it seem less meaningless, but it opens up further ways for players to interact with it because they can affect how things turn out just as the random numbers and the AI can.

The other big part of Love is cooperation between players. There are almost no purely self-serving goals in Love, the game is designed so that everything you do is for the good of the settlement as a whole. Unlike other online games where the goal is to make yourself more powerful, in Love the goal is to make you and everyone else in the settlement more powerful. When you find a device, tool, or resource, everyone in the settlement benefits directly or indirectly and your capabilities as an individual are tied to the capabilities of the settlement in various ways.

For example, if I bring back a token that provides a tool to the settlement such as radio or dive gear, then that tool becomes available for use to everyone in the settlement. If that token is destroyed somehow as a result of an attack, accident, or whatever, then everyone loses that tool immediately regardless of where they are (tools disappearing from your toolbelt is usually a sign something has gone wrong back home). If I find a power well and direct its energy back to the settlement, the device it powers will benefit everyone in the settlement. Likewise, resources collected from the world and brought back to the settlement can be used by anyone in the settlement.

Most games try to prevent players from affecting each other to such a degree because of griefers. Griefers were somewhat of a worry early on, but so far there haven't been any major problems. This could be due to the fact that players are motivated to help new players because doing so benefits them in return (many "griefers" in other games are confused new players). It can also be because Love's community is small, very close, and strongly prefers more direct text and voice chat over forums (the sense of anonymity goes away as you inevitably get to know everyone else). There is also Love's rather high learning curve, which makes it extremely difficult to learn the game without help from an existing player.

Even though Love is currently one of my favorite online games, there are a plenty of reasons why some people will not like it.

The biggest thing that was brought up in the past few months seems to be the game's learning curve. I mentioned earlier that Love has many systems that affect each other to make the gameplay. A consequence of this is that there are a lot of systems that players have to learn to deal with, especially regarding infrastructure and interactions with the AI. New features have been added to Love very frequently since launch so tutorials and guides made by the developer and the community become obsolete very quickly. Admittedly, because Love's community is small and close to the developer (many regulars chat with Eskil almost daily), changes to the game have tended to more about making the game more enjoyable to existing players. From what we've seen, having someone else to teach you how to play is the most reliable way to learn the game and joining the Teamspeak server is highly recommended. Players who try to learn the game on their own generally do very poorly. However, there has been discussion among the community and Eskil about features to help ease new players into the game so hopefully this will be improved in the near future.

Another thing to turns people away is the fact that there is no character progression, grind, achievements, or any other such intentionally "addicting" elements in Love. It has more or less been decided that Love should focus on gameplay, not on making its players addicts through other means. There was at one point a "progress" system put in Love that allowed you to gain "xp" to use certain devices. However, both Eskil and the community (myself included) really hated the effect it had on the game so Eskil quickly removed it from the game. (Without getting too specific, it seemed that the average gamer's tendency to "grind" themselves bored was much stronger than anticipated.)

Something that has been brought up by new players as something that they disliked was that they could not start their own settlement with just them and their friends. Most of the time when you log into the game you are automatically put into the existing player settlement with everyone else. It seems that some new players coming into the game are uncomfortable with the idea that their actions, or more specifically their potential mistakes, can affect other players to such a degree. More than a couple new players have stated that they were afraid to do anything because they were afraid of messing things up for the existing players and angering them. This is very unlikely to happen, we've never rejected a new player for making a mistake and we're nice enough that I don't think any of us would hold it against them personally. Nevertheless, it seems that the anxiety is there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:14:49 PM by paul1290 » Logged

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »

Ok, somewhat Tl;DR.
I'll check it out then.

Shall I grant your wish?
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

Another thing to turns people away is the fact that there is no character progression, grind, achievements, or any other such intentionally "addicting" elements in Love.

I'll just leave this here.

Love does sound very interesting, but the learning curve is a bit off-putting.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »

The last mmo I played was the open beta of the browser-based battlestar galactica game and I got sorta sick of it right when I became eligible to buy a different ship.

Oh and before that SMT but only cause other people I know were and it was funny for that reason.

Both of these were obviously also free ones (I bought ww2 online when it came out, then dropped it like midway through the beta..it had a lot of problems even on top of the monthly fee though. I managed to kill a tank by running up to a blind-spot and pouring like 3 mp40 magazines into its weakest point at point blank range so I had my fun with it)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:44:20 PM by Sharpshooter005 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: