City of Amnesia
May 05, 2024, 10:45:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ghost in the Shell Uber Thread  (Read 27799 times)
The Baker St. Irregular
ROCK. ROBOT ROCK.

« on: July 27, 2007, 08:57:27 PM »

Ugh. It's not until October that the 1.5 GitS graphic novel comes out, so let's talk about random Ghost stuff sos I won't get all depressed-like.

Mike
soap

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:23:29 PM »

So I've seen this show like 4 times, had no idea what was going on, but it was pretty badass.
The Baker St. Irregular
ROCK. ROBOT ROCK.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:10:04 PM »

Quote from: 25
So I've seen this show like 4 times, had no idea what was going on, but it was pretty badass.

Me, too. (insert anime emoticon here) Thank god they intentionally made it multi-tiered so you could still enjoy it without needing to understand all the political mumbo jumbo! Somehow, I managed to know enough to write an eleven page paper about it...

Watching all of the DVD extras and reading all the side notes makes a little easier to understand. But it's really all of the complicated elements that make it such a great series.

Delirious

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »

When it first aired on [as] weekly, I had trouble following it.  When they started airing it nightly, I was able to understand it better.  I'm glad I didn't give up on it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:04:07 AM by Delirious » Logged

Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:24:34 AM »

Quote from: 39

Me, too. (insert anime emoticon here) Thank god they intentionally made it multi-tiered so you could still enjoy it without needing to understand all the political mumbo jumbo! Somehow, I managed to know enough to write an eleven page paper about it...

Watching all of the DVD extras and reading all the side notes makes a little easier to understand. But it's really all of the complicated elements that make it such a great series.
Um, I know Stand Alone Complex is mutli-layered and well, complex, but I never found it to be too complicated and confusing to follow as far as the plotline, story, philosophy and politics are concerned. Its pretty simple when you get down to it actually. Then again, I've taped and watched the series over so many times, I know it better than your own back hand. For the love of Kuze, I need to get the DVD and check those out even though I have this article by Kamiyama where he goes into detail on 2nd GIG anyway.

Also, I watched Solid State Society recently and I was going to rant about some of the aspects I didn't like about it (technical wise and all, >_>) but I'll do that another time.

Thank you for making the GITS (uber?) thread though, Mistress!
Peace.

All this guerrilla warfare in Arabia is cutting into my drinking...
:: Cuaron, Coppola, Hitchcock, Kazan, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Lean, Scorsese, Welles, Wilder ::
Mike
soap

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »

I remember one episode where there were like 500 of those spider tank things with the childlike AI running around causing mischief. That was pretty cool.
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »

I remember one episode where there were like 500 of those spider tank things with the childlike AI running around causing mischief. That was pretty cool.
The funny thing is, that's like every episode that they are in.
Peace.

:: Cuaron, Coppola, Hitchcock, Kazan, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Lean, Scorsese, Welles, Wilder ::
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »

I saw that one movie from a long time ago before this show was made, and then I saw like, three episodes of this show. It was somewhere between alright and pretty good on my quality scale. The guy with the goofy eyes is cool >.>.

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »

Quote from: 4
The guy with the goofy eyes is cool >.>.
They call him Mr. Batou!

Oh, and the first Ghost in the Shell is alright but in many ways, the SAC series transcends it incredibly.
Peace.

Mike
soap

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:04 PM »

The movie was really cool, and also from like 1988.
The show seemed like it wasn't so heavy with the philosophical stuff.
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »

The show seemed like it wasn't so heavy with the philosophical stuff.
Nah, unfortunately (at least, for me anyway).

I think it delved a lot more on the technological aspects of the beginning process of cyberization. I really don't remember that much about it; except that the Puppet Master fused in Motoko's AI and they became a whole new being and that the VA for the Major was godawful.
Peace.

Mike
soap

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »

Yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell. Motoko got her ass kicked by this tank, and was supposed to have died for real, but she was given a child's robot body because that was all that was on hand and her mind had fused with the Puppet Master. I don't remember exactly, I saw it a really long time ago.
The Baker St. Irregular
ROCK. ROBOT ROCK.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »

Quote from: 27
Oh, and the first Ghost in the Shell is alright but in many ways, the SAC series transcends it incredibly.
Peace.

Both of the movies are kinda whooooaaaaaaa.  Shocked  While I don't think Oshii did a bad job, the term "muddy" definitely comes to mind. With SAC, Kamiyama was able to deftly walk the line of the philosophy and the technology aspects of GitS. (I also think it helps that he's so young.)  I certainly dig the way more digestible cop show formula, as well as the focus on the characters. In that way, it closely mirrors the manga, which while is most similar to SAC, is really an entire entity on its own.

Ultimately, however, I believe that they all work together to help contribute to the making of the world of Ghost.

Um, I know Stand Alone Complex is mutli-layered and well, complex, but I never found it to be too complicated and confusing to follow as far as the plotline, story, philosophy and politics are concerned.

I guess I'm just a little slow with these sort of things. ^^;; I think I understand too much of it subconsciously. I'm all like, "Dude! Ghost totally jives with me, although I don't entirely know why or how..."

Yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell. Motoko got her ass kicked by this tank, and was supposed to have died for real, but she was given a child's robot body because that was all that was on hand and her mind had fused with the Puppet Master. I don't remember exactly, I saw it a really long time ago.

The whole melding of consciousnesses thing-- not only in the instance of the movie, but every time throughout GitS-- carries a lot of extra meaning that is difficult to pick up on right away. It stands by Eastern beliefs like that of nirvana, where one transcends beyond one's body and individuality to become part of a single, greater being. That isn't so big a thing in Western culture.

Even so, I can't help but be utterly convinced that someday, all the events in Ghost will become possible, and that humans really may transcend via the Net...

Thank you for making the GITS (uber?) thread though, Mistress!
Peace.

It was my duty, comrade!  Grin

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 06:37:48 AM »

Both of the movies are kinda whooooaaaaaaa.

The dub on the first just made me want to find the nearest living thing and kill it in the most brutal, sick, absolutely warped way possible and then deface the corpse somehow. And I really dont even care about dubbing for the most part.

That one though
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »

Actually, in the manga, it was a very feminine boy's body, leading the Major to make snide commentary toward Batou.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: