City of Amnesia
May 18, 2024, 09:00:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Otakon  (Read 10323 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »

It's late to start this topic, but distractions got the better of me.

Anybody else going to Otakon? I've never gone to an anime convention and I'm half-dreading what I'll see, but... we'll see.

I'll be helping some friends o' mine sell artwork at points S1 and S2, in "The Alley," wherever that is. If you're going, be sure to stop by and announce yourself!

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:36:40 AM »

Looking at the quest list, I so wanna go. Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Laura Bailey, and Derek Stephen Prince, now that a quest list. Only one close enough is Anime Weekend Atlanta, but sadly they have the same quest every year, namely Vic Mignogna, and his fan club ruining it for everyone.

I'm half-dreading what I'll see

Yeah I had the same feeling when I went to my first con. I got stared at a lot, and got a general, "Your not coplaying, your not a TRUE fan" vibe a lot of the times, but it was fun.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:38:02 PM »

Tony Oliver, Richard Epcar, Laura Bailey, and Derek Stephen Prince, now that a quest list.

Could've been cool. Unfortunately I might've missed whatever appearance they made. It's hard to tell because the Otakon guidebook doesn't lay out the events very well.

Gaddes and Wingnut, I'm sorry. There was a Zechs Marquis and (whatever the SEED masked-ace is named) alongside a bunch of other pilots, but I didn't take a picture. I caught a Death Scythe, though.

Quote from: Gaddes
I got stared at a lot, and got a general, "Your not coplaying, your not a TRUE fan" vibe a lot of the times

Thankfully, none of that. There were many plainclothes people at the convention.

Walking up to Otakon for the first time was like walking into the ocean. It's cold and you don't want to go in past your knees for fear of the discomfort. But the only thing to do is plunge right in, and once you do, you get acclimated. I guess it's also like pulling off a band-aid.

Whenever I left the convention center, I suffered from a little culture shock as I re-entered the normal world.

I have pictures! I'll link 'em later.

Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »

Tony Oliver and Richard Epcar... had I gone I would have been able to finally get (possibly) all three autographs for Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon (I got Lex Lang's at Tekkoshocon). Also, score 2 for Big O as Tony Oliver doubled as Dove and T-Bone.

Shame I couldn't go, but alas there is always next year. BTW, Tony Oliver might have been there promoting Gurren-Lagann's new English Dub... details please yes/no?

I got stared at a lot, and got a general, "Your not coplaying, your not a TRUE fan" vibe a lot of the times
Yeah, got that same vibe at Tekko which is significantly less populated than Otakon, but still rather nerdy. If I really want to try I'll make sure to put on my Zenigata costume when going to my next Con... or maybe if I break my neck and face in some horrible Anime accident I can double-cosplay as Schwarzwald.

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

You keep much better track of the industry than I do. If I'd known all you know about VA's, maybe I would've tried to get some sigs myself.

Next year there is. I've decided to throw in an try selling some artwork of my own. You can show up and we can meet and be buddies lulz!

In the industry room, I saw loads of Code Geass and a little Gundam 00, but sadly not a spot of Gurren Lagann. Plenty of skinny-ass Kamina cosplayers, though. A couple hot Yoko in the mix too. My apologies for not getting any pictures of them. There was some sideboob and underboob; delicious.

Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:05 AM »

Yeah, got that same vibe at Tekko which is significantly less populated than Otakon, but still rather nerdy. If I really want to try I'll make sure to put on my Zenigata costume when going to my next Con... or maybe if I break my neck and face in some horrible Anime accident I can double-cosplay as Schwarzwald.

If you can get your face erased, you can just go as The Question.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »

Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Cheesy I enjoyed reading all of that...

Please spare me the breast part of your experience. (yes, that was a pun)
I want to go to a con so badly... *depression sets in...* maybe i'll see you all next year?

Ninomiya sucks at dancing, but everything else is perfect...... Cheesy
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »

If you can get your face erased, you can just go as The Question.

I support this.

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »

As promised, some pictures:

Death Scythe
An hero.
CIVIL PROTECTION--HALT, CITIZEN!
Rorschach
I advocate the cosplaying of Cammy.
There were buttloads of Joker cosplayers, but I took a picture of this one because he really took it in a different direction. He also gave me a VOTE HARVEY DENT sticker!
Rem and Misa-Misa!
I am Heavy Weapons Guy. This is my weapon.
Pyramid head.
Warhammer 40,000 detail.
Gray Fox/Cyborg Ninja.
Is this from Guilty Gear or something?
Hsien-ko, one of my favorite Darkstalkers.
FLCL!
Conga line! (TF2)

Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »

Yeah, That's A.B.A from Guilty Gear Isuka. Nice pics by the way.

The Ghost Of Ember
In ur maze, killin' ur pac-man

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 02:10:53 AM »

O dear. I was there but forgot to check here before going... So I didn't get to meet the infamous R. Daniel Olk.

WE PROBABLY WALKED BY EACH OTHER SEVERAL TIMES AND DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE!

Maybe next year (provided I remember)?

Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:49 AM »

Yeah, That's A.B.A from Guilty Gear Isuka. Nice pics by the way.
I am so glad that thry brought back the Insta-kill for Accent Core, but I hate that they changed the voice for the fights. I have GGX2, GG Isuka, and GG Accent Core. Not sure if I'm missing any, and can anyone answer the question of if it was an anime? It would be epic as one.

Anyway, anyone going to NekoCon in November in Virginia? As it stands, I'm planning to go to it as Alucard. YAY ALUCARD!

And screw the Immoral Emperor. The Necrons will walk all over his arse!

Oh, and there is much epicness in the pictures, like the An hero, and Heavy Weapons Guy. Then hotness like Cammy. w00t. all w00t.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:08:53 AM by snakemarcato13 » Logged

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Hobo
The Pan

Peter Banning

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »

If the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind were to be killed, all the faith people have given him would make him a Chaos God.

A benevolent Chaos God.

Anywho, I know a variety of people who have attended Nekocon in the past, and very well might again, but I doubt I'd go.

Have to fight.
Have to fly.

Have to crow.
Big Money
Supergreen

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »

I went to Dragon Con this weekend and made a very brief appearance as Schwarzwald (brief on accound of a gross underestimation of the pure heat energy generated by merely donning the costume, let alone milling around in the Georgia August heat for any substantial length of time) and was recognized by approximately 5 people (this was a good number -- enough to make me feel good about the quality of my costume, but not enough to make me doubt the obscurity of the choice, which is something which scores very high in my personal costume rating scale), 3 of whom were willing to strike up conversation while I was yelling about the truth &c. I think there are around 4 pictures of me in the costume, one (maybe two) of which I have access to, and will upload if possible for the funnies (it was a delightful getup -- why isn't there a convention here in, oh, say, December? Or any other month in which my chance of heat stroke becomes a merely statistically insignificant possibility).

Also there was a Roger and a Dorothy, seperate, I'm pretty sure the three of us didn't exist in costume at the same time ever. Any chance either one of those were any of you?

And while I'm at it:

Badge Cost: $75 (will purchase earlier in the future)
Hotel Throw: $66 for two nights
Magic Booster Draw: $15
Superman Obama Shirt: $18
Gargoyles DVD Bootleg: $35 to be at a later time split with a friend
Game Room Time (2 hrs): $5 well spent on several lulzy matches of Team Fortress 2
Food: Approx. $50

Actual Retal Price: $264 Amusingly Spent

What's wrong with you? What you screamin' for?
BZZZZ!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: