City of Amnesia
May 18, 2024, 02:34:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Note  (Read 28751 times)
seraphjei
Bravo!

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »

true, me thinks now it might be fake since it looks cached from the address

Try e-mailing it, or try clicking Printable version. It goes to the wrong article. It is truly a fun idea. Too bad though...

Aeternum vale
My Girl
Galatea
The Ultimate

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »

ur right! thanks!

DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 05:41:20 AM »

So... should I watch this or not? It kind of sounds interesting, but at the same time it doesn't, like no other. "Boy writes names in five star notepad, people die." God, that kind of power... But at the same time, do they just keel over? Do they die in epic and interesting ways a la Final Destination?
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »

The show is really about the battle of wits waged between Light and L, so if you're looking for gruesome death, the show isn't for you.

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

Do they die in epic and interesting ways a la Final Destination?
War.
First and foremost, Final Destination sucked. Hard. All of them.

Second, the default way of death are heart attacks. So yeah, they just "keel over" with lack of a better phrase. There are some cases were the writer writes a little something extra to command the way the die, like "walks in front of traffic" or "pulls out a pair of scissors and cuts himself" or something like that. But those happened rarely in the manga to mess around with the police and such.
Peace.

All this guerrilla warfare in Arabia is cutting into my drinking...
:: Cuaron, Coppola, Hitchcock, Kazan, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Lean, Scorsese, Welles, Wilder ::
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 01:56:37 PM »

Let me clear things up. I hated Final Destination. All of them. But at least each death was fairly original. I'm not asking for a gorefest, I'm just asking for more than "So I said to the guy: 'Him? Council President? Over my dead bod--*thud*"
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 06:20:26 PM »

Death Note is more of a Psychotic thriller. It makes you really have to use your brain in ways that are simply amazing, and the actors aren't so hard on the eyes, if i do say so...

Ninomiya sucks at dancing, but everything else is perfect...... Cheesy
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »

...interestingly enough. [adult swim] is putting Bleach on the bench and is going to start airing Death Note tonight.
Peace.

:: Cuaron, Coppola, Hitchcock, Kazan, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Lean, Scorsese, Welles, Wilder ::
Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2007, 04:27:10 PM »

Why do i never know these things? oh, wait, i know why... Off to talk to my death note obsessed friend...

Galatea
The Ultimate

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2007, 05:28:07 PM »

they're actually replacing bleach with deathnote? wow, you can see how powerful this show really is....

[EDIT] English dub has been released!

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c39215b258260115b392d7a20045

Turns out the voice of ryuk is Brian Drummond, which i think is the dude that did Vegeta (This apple is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAANNNNDDD!)
the voice of light is Brad Swaile, the dude ho did adult gohan in the Ocean dub of DBZ.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:14:54 PM by Galatea » Logged

The Final Negotiator
Megadeus Dominus

Back...in black...

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »

OK, I caught the first episode of Death Note on Adult Swim (Sunday, around 3AM EST or so), and I liked the animation, and the story had a Twilight Zone type feel to it. (Remember the chapter in the new Twilight Zone movie, with the ill-tempered kid that could make real ANYTHING that he could imagine. It's that kind of cold, creepy feeling...)

Yes, I did see a couple over-the-top Final Destination-esque deaths, but that didn't detract from the episode.

However, given it's Twilight Zone feel to it, I wonder how "fresh" they can keep each episode. T.Z. episodes were two-parter's at the most, and although it was evident some T.Z. episodes sacrificed some detail to fit into their time slot, I'm still wondering if there is enough Death Note material for a full season.

It's only the first episode, though, so I shouldn't think that hard about it yet. I liked it...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:25:48 PM by The Final Negotiator » Logged
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »

the voice of light is Brad Swaile, the dude ho did adult gohan in the Ocean dub of DBZ.
Um... that would explain why I didn't like his voice and something was off about it to me.

OK, I caught the first episode of Death Note on Adult Swim (Sunday, around 3AM EST or so), and I liked the animation, and the story had a Twilight Zone type feel to it. (Remember the chapter in the new Twilight Zone movie, with the ill-tempered kid that could make real ANYTHING that he could imagine. It's that kind of cold, creepy feeling...)

Yes, I did see a couple over-the-top Final Destination-esque deaths, but that didn't detract from the episode.

However, given it's Twilight Zone feel to it, I wonder how "fresh" they can keep each episode. T.Z. episodes were two-parter's at the most, and although it was evident some T.Z. episodes sacrificed some detail to fit into their time slot, I'm still wondering if there is enough Death Note material for a full season.

It's only the first episode, though, so I shouldn't think that hard about it yet. I liked it...
It did have that feel yeah, but the episode's pace seemed faster than the manga to me is all. I mean already, Light's using the Death Note like you know what but hell it worked in itself for this episode.

FN, it sounds like you didn't read the manga that Death Note was based off of. Like I told DM beforehand, there are some over the top deaths but those come rarely and few and far in between. Also, I have no worries about them keeping each episode fresh (L is coming up in the next episode), because if they do their jobs right (they hardly do) and stick to the original material, they should have no problems on that front.

Anyway, good start off even if the pace annoyed me a bit. Good animation too.
Peace.

Bllue
An animeted Fanpire

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »

My death note obsessed friend say it while tuning in for Bleach...
What would you guys say it's rated?
P.S. Do people foam at the mouth in the anime too?

seraphjei
Bravo!

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »

Although I am a bit happy that Death Note is getting more of the spotlight and it actually beat out Bleach, I am NOT happy about it being on Adult Swim. Why? I honestly don't. Just the idea of Death Note on Adult Swim sends shivers down my spine. I don't like it.
Oh! Light's voice actor sucks. Thats why. Nothing wrong with Death Note being on Adult Swim, Light just sounds like a wuss.

Aeternum vale
My Girl
Citizen Nine
The Hustlin' Neo-Realist

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »

Oh! Light's voice actor sucks. Thats why. Nothing wrong with Death Note being on Adult Swim, Light just sounds like a wuss.
This, and then some. I was thinking the exact same thing. I mean, he doesn't sound like anything I pictured at first, which was some egotistial, slick, know it all with a god-complex (hi, Xy-poo >_> ) but he just sounded like an over the top schoolboy. Anyway, I might get used to it the more the series goes on, but yeah. Sounds terrible at the moment.
Peace.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: