City of Amnesia
May 05, 2024, 07:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Claymore  (Read 3416 times)
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »

My friends, I have just watched something of great significance.

Yeah, I'm sure somebody will say the manga is better. Well, whatevs. I found Claymore had great music, great art and animation, and most importantly, magnificent drama... at least for the first half.

About mid-way through the series, I came to the conclusion that this is what the Berserk anime should have been like. This is quality.

The series almost drew out a tear or two from me at several points. By the ending, though, the plot had fallen into a predictable trajectory, and it wasn't as visceral anymore.

If you love suspense and desperation, and a confidence that this thing you are watching is badass, watch Claymore. Anyone who liked Shigurui: Death Frenzy will probably like this series, as well.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »

I ordered the Blu-Ray set earlier this morning. I looks nice, so I picked it up.

Indeed. Hell, maybe Funimation can fund a redo of Berserk that follows the Manga.

Edit: Ok, I watched a few episodes since my Bluray came today. I'm still have to say for all the talk (from the reviewers) about this being like Berserk, I still don't see it. I guess characters using giant swords = Berserk. It lacks Berserks nice character designs (is there a reason all the women look the same?), and over the top violence (manga wise).

It's still a nice show. However, the voice actor commentaries are pointless. I don't get why Funimation does this.

Edit 2: Good god. Funimations dubs are so hit or miss. The Claymore dub isn't bad, but some of the voice are grating * cough Vic cough*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:45:15 PM by Graham Aker » Logged

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »

PLEASE watch it with subs, then. Please.

Don't tell me, does he play Racki/Lucky? If he does... goddamnit.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »

PLEASE watch it with subs, then. Please.

Don't tell me, does he play Racki/Lucky? If he does... goddamnit.

Vic does Rigaldo, and it's typical Mignogna over acting and over all fail. Raki is done by Todd Haberkorn, and to be honest it takes some getting use to. Couple that with the pointless swearing in some parts. The one scene that comes to mind is Luci Christian's "Fuck you! fuck you! fuck you! fuck you!" that was so poorly acted I was on the floor in tears. I had to watch Gundam Unicorn's dub to cleanse my ears. If I had to give the dub a rating, I'd give it a C+. Also Helen sounds like a snotty stuck up Valley girl for some odd reason.

I'm just about done with all 26 episodes and overall I'd rate the show a solid B+.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:26:52 PM by Graham Aker » Logged

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »

Mm hmm. I bet if you watched it with subs you would've given it something like an A.

I'm sorry the dub had such awkward moments.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »

Mm hmm. I bet if you watched it with subs you would've given it something like an A.

I'm sorry the dub had such awkward moments.

C+ for the dub I mean. Show wise I'd give it a solid B+. It's really good, but it drags in certain parts. I don't usually watch subs, I like to do stuff on my PC, so I just turn on the dub. The dub isn't the greatest, but it's no Sargent Frog, but that's another story for another day.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

Oh I see. Your grading system is probably more even-handed than mine. Usually if a show has a stretch of a couple episodes that really shine, I give it massive points, even forgiving stumbles later on.

I'd say the whole second half could have been half as long. There was no reason for some of those fights to span more than two episodes, max. Could have spent that time providing a better resolution at the end, instead of setting things up for a sequel that hasn't materialized.

Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »

Oh I see. Your grading system is probably more even-handed than mine. Usually if a show has a stretch of a couple episodes that really shine, I give it massive points, even forgiving stumbles later on.

I'd say the whole second half could have been half as long. There was no reason for some of those fights to span more than two episodes, max. Could have spent that time providing a better resolution at the end, instead of setting things up for a sequel that hasn't materialized.

Yeah, the ending was a bit underwhelming. I'm glad I watched Claymore since I came outta my anime burn out phase. I picked up the Heroic Age Bluray set, so we'll see how that turns out.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: