City of Amnesia
May 18, 2024, 09:23:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial Experiments: Lain. Discussion  (Read 11558 times)
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »

But this area isn't for the big robots...

Anyway, Lain is Lain. I don't really think she's an "alien" persay. There was another anime along these lines of being confusing as all hell and not a comedy...But I forgot what it was...

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »

I checked it out from the library, tried watching it again.

I turned it off after episode two this time. My god, the show is slow as hell, never explains anything... Nothing happens! If I want to watch a show where nothing happens for six hours, I'll sit through Inuyasha.
War.

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to grasp victory!

Erupting... Burning... FINGER!!
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 05:06:06 AM »

Quote from: 19
I checked it out from the library, tried watching it again.

I turned it off after episode two this time. My god, the show is slow as hell, never explains anything... Nothing happens!

Towards the end it just suddenly goes "oh also now roswell, majestic 12, and the knights templar are involved". Its so absolutely out of nowhere that its great.

Also, again, the alien part I keep mentioning which was just completely whacked out and somewhat unnerving I suppose?

Also I just remembered, I think someone involved with the writing or production of this also made paranoia agent, which was really the last animu AS aired that I cared about (both seasons of ghost in the shell had already aired by then)
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 01:20:45 AM »

I think that the creators and possibly animators of Paranoia Agent did Boogiepop Phantom too...

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
seraphjei
Bravo!

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »

Quote from: 16
I think that the creators and possibly animators of Paranoia Agent did Boogiepop Phantom too...
I'm fairly certain they did Boogiepop Phantom, but i'm not sure about paranoia agent.
If you want an anime that will leave you in an eternal brain fart be sure to watch lain. This anime is definitely for the thinkers and dreamers out there. Casual anime fans will have a difficult time following the stories premise. Bottom line. Lain kick ass. End of story.

Aeternum vale
My Girl
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »

Quote from: 47
I'm fairly certain they did Boogiepop Phantom, but i'm not sure about paranoia agent.
If you want an anime that will leave you in an eternal brain fart be sure to watch lain. This anime is definitely for the thinkers and dreamers out there. Casual anime fans will have a difficult time following the stories premise. Bottom line. Lain kick ass. End of story.

I love things that make me think, but Lain didn't do that. It just kind of left you trailing along, giving no real clues, then out of nowhere like Sharp said just PUMMELS you with explanations out of left field.
War.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:30:16 PM »

then out of nowhere like Sharp said just PUMMELS you with explanations out of left field.

I loved that part though, I'm not kidding. I much prefer "Apparently whats going on is the knights templar, and an alien, are in ur computer stealing the megahurtz. Also majestic 12. Also the van allen belts but thats not part of this" to something like evangelion where its all "Oh actually this was all just about some punk not whining as much anymore"

Like it stopped being a plot and became pretty much some montage of conspiracy theories
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

I like things that made you think, like... I, Robot. Not the movie, the book. The book took place over quite a long period of time, and showed subtly how robots ingrained themselves into society and took over. While it was hidden and subtle, and they revealed how some humans thought robots had done that toward the end, Asimov gave clues both leading and misleading to allow you to draw your own conclusions by the end of the book. That, my friends, is a mind ****.
War.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 03:43:10 PM »

Oh I left out disconnected 56k modem chick didn't I
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 01:45:19 AM »

Quote from: 36
Oh I left out disconnected 56k modem chick didn't I

I think you need to explain this, Sharp.
War.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 02:18:13 AM »

At one point uh....it's been a while since I watched it, I forget which character exactly, I think its lains sister, goes from acting normal to just wandering around the house with this half-catatonic stare making this beeping noise like a 56k modem thats hit a busy signal.

I think its implied the alien fries her brain or its just another bit of random oddity thrown in there because...well its there. Yeah. Amused me anyway.
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 02:19:16 AM »

"Aliens Fried Her Brains..." Sounds like... I can't even begin to acknowledge how low this anime is on my to watch priority list.
War.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 02:31:29 AM »

Well..the ending was more than "enter: giant pallet-swapped robot, stage right. THE END" so it had that at least

(It was CLOSE but it wasn't...yeah..that)
DOMON KASSHU!
The King of Hearts
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:29 AM »

Well, hey, there's something to be said for Big O and their pallet swapped robots. Also, I thought one of the premises was that Bigs were supposed to look similar? But yeah, not watching this. I'll watch it after I go insane and buy Bobobobobobobobobobo on DVD.
War.

Sharpshooter005

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 07:30:59 AM »

Well, hey, there's something to be said for Big O and their pallet swapped robots.

No the ending and actually the whole second season sucked. I agree with nine, it was more interesting when it was some vaguely film-noirish thing about a guy trying to investigate dark secrets of the past. The robots were flavor, the fact one of them seemed steam-powered was neat but really, more often than not they detracted from what initially interested me, sorry.

(Except I'm not really sorry)

But yeah, not watching this.

Yeah I can't entirely recommend it. I haven't watched it in years, I have one of the dvds and sometime I'll go rewatch it and may hate it.

It just seemed so insane and absurd and it was generally entertaining to me. Apparently the creator thought "OH AMERICANS WONT LIKE THIS" or so I think read in some interview/article about it...well he failed miserably if this was his intent, I had my fun watching it which is all I care about.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: