City of Amnesia

Illegal Residential Sector => Electric City => Topic started by: Brooklyn Luckfield on August 25, 2008, 08:44:16 PM



Title: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on August 25, 2008, 08:44:16 PM
So, anybody manage to check this show out? I didn't even know AS even picked this up, although with bumps like this, it makes me wonder why they even get new anime.

Seirei no Moribito
Premiering August 23rd @ 1:30 am

Requesting permission
to launch for failure

[permission granted]

The show had a very nice opening episode and a solid dub. Although the 1:30 am slot is a bit ridiculous.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on August 26, 2008, 01:37:33 AM
I'm surprised and pleased that you saw it too! Yeah, the first episode at least was very lavish. I haven't checked, but judging by the style and quality, it's from the studio that made the GitS tv series. Smart writing and beautiful. So much beautiful.

Yes, I agree that 1:30 is ridiculous. They should nudge out some of the InuYasha and the Bleach for Moribito. It's worth two viewings in one night!


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on August 26, 2008, 02:36:42 AM
Yeah, the animation is typical of Production I.G, in other words, it's good. The setting is very nice as well, while it does have a slight Feudal ere feel to it, the overall setting reminds me of the Heian period of Japanese history in addition to some heavy Korean influences. Although R.Dan, I must say I do like the idea of dual showings, perhaps one at 11, and another at 1:30am. Kinda sad though, AS will probably show it once and it will vanish into obscurity.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on September 02, 2008, 01:05:29 AM
There are dual airings, but the second one is 3 hours later, I believe. 1:30a.m. is still a killer timeslot.

Love the show already. The wide shot of the rice paddies at the beginning of the first episode was simply amazing. And Balsa, maybe the best female lead in an anime that I've seen in years. Can't wait to see her kick some ass.

If you couldn't tell, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of Moribito.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on September 02, 2008, 05:28:16 AM
Quote
There are dual airings, but the second one is 3 hours later, I believe. 1:30a.m. is still a killer timeslot.

Ah yeah, so 1:30am and 4:30am, not the best of time slots but it beats Inu Yasha reruns.

Quote
Balsa, maybe the best female lead in an anime that I've seen in years.

Yeah, Balsa is a nice change from the norm and the flood of Moe jail bait.

As for episode 2, it was awesome, can't wait for more.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on September 02, 2008, 07:18:47 PM
Balsa, maybe the best female lead in an anime that I've seen in years.

Balsa's badass enough that I can forgive her for being exceedingly beautiful.

Quote
Can't wait to see her kick some ass.

From the look of things, we're going to get plenty of that at the beginning of episode 3!



I feel like there's one tiny flaw so far. Whenever Balsa talks to herself, I find it very unnatural. Very long sentences. Hopefully she'll start using an internal voice instead.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on September 03, 2008, 12:01:54 AM
Quote from: R. Daniel Olk 01
Whenever Balsa talks to herself, I find it very unnatural. Very long sentences. Hopefully she'll start using an internal voice instead.

Can't say I noticed that, let alone have it bother me. It certainly hasn't been as unnatural as some shows. *cough*InuYasha*cough**cough*

As the story progresses, I imagine they'll be more dialogue between Balsa and Chagum, but with the strong comparisons to Stand Alone Complex, who knows. Either way, I'd say that's a very tiny flaw.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on September 03, 2008, 07:47:13 AM
Either way, I'd say that's a very tiny flaw.

Yes, I know. Must especially be tiny if it didn't bother anybody else.

Quote
with the strong comparisons to Stand Alone Complex, who knows.

Ha, yeah, I'd say Balsa is a little more plump than Motoko, but other than that, same person.

That's it, series is over. Balsa is actually a cyborg from the future. I'm gonna have to open up my photoshop.

(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/AtomicRobot/Moribito1.jpg)

(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/AtomicRobot/Moribito2.jpg)


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on September 05, 2008, 05:07:39 AM
Now it all comes together...


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on September 12, 2008, 04:19:44 AM
Well it seems our good friends at AS, have now pushed premier episodes of Code Geass and Moribito have now been pushed back until 5 and 5:30 respectively. *facepalm*


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on September 14, 2008, 03:57:23 AM
Honestly, I don't even feel angry, just tired. And not because it's nearly five in the morning. It's an infuriating move, but I just can't muster the energy to get upset anymore.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on September 14, 2008, 10:35:01 AM
Well it seems our good friends at AS, have now pushed premier episodes of Code Geass and Moribito have now been pushed back until 5 and 5:30 respectively. *facepalm*

Wow. Just wow. This was a show that I was actually looking forward to watching on a television, instead of hurting the industry by ripping it off the Internet. I suppose the only moral option now is to buy the DVDs.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on September 14, 2008, 03:25:02 PM
Well it seems our good friends at AS, have now pushed premier episodes of Code Geass and Moribito have now been pushed back until 5 and 5:30 respectively. *facepalm*

Wow. Just wow. This was a show that I was actually looking forward to watching on a television, instead of hurting the industry by ripping it off the Internet. I suppose the only moral option now is to buy the DVDs.

Likewise. It's moves like this, that answer the most obvious of questions. AS wonders why people complain about them all the time. Seriously, with moves like this, it isn't even about ratings anymore, considering Bleach and other anime managed to net over 400k viewers lately, and adding Tim and Eric, was insult to injury. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy the DVD's.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on October 12, 2008, 02:35:15 PM
Ya know, I managed to catch the most recent episode. I'm really liking the show, but I have to wonder why AS got this, it really doesn't fit the action line up at all, in the since it doesn't have much action in it and the 5:30 time slot is just an insult to a good show and AS swim wonders why a lot of their anime fans are jumping ship to Sci-Fi.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on October 21, 2008, 04:57:03 AM
My satellite service went out just before the show was supposed to start last Saturday. I didn't even get to hear the opening theme.

Can't wait for the DVDs.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on October 21, 2008, 01:54:26 PM
My satellite service went out just before the show was supposed to start last Saturday. I didn't even get to hear the opening theme.

Can't wait for the DVDs.

Like wise. I was planning on getting the DVD's and with AS treatment of the show it only solidifies decision.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on November 21, 2008, 05:40:53 AM
Finally caught all of Episode Two.
Balsa seemed perfect, so encouraging and considerate to her friends. Watching her a second time, though, makes me wonder if she has a darker side that will show through her act.


Figures, I'm probably going to be returning from Quantum of Solace when episode 3 comes on. Graham, could you remind me the next time it comes on after 1:30?


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on November 21, 2008, 06:32:09 PM
Finally caught all of Episode Two.
Balsa seemed perfect, so encouraging and considerate to her friends. Watching her a second time, though, makes me wonder if she has a darker side that will show through her act.


Figures, I'm probably going to be returning from Quantum of Solace when episode 3 comes on. Graham, could you remind me the next time it comes on after 1:30?

I think it replays at 4:30, but not 100% sure. I'd have to check.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on November 23, 2008, 03:07:41 PM
Thanks in any case.

Managed to catch it. Damn good show in all respects. You know it's good when it's got better editing than Quantum of Solace.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on November 24, 2008, 03:51:43 AM
Quote
Damn good show in all respects.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I agree whole heartily. The show is nothing short of amazing and honestly it's to good for AS to have if ya ask me. I often wonder why they picked up this show, as it is short of the action and more focused on character development. if they want action, pick up Gungrave, in addition to be action packed, it's also an awesome show.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on November 24, 2008, 05:40:33 AM
The TV deal was signed long before Geneon USA shut down their distribution operations. [as] probably had a very different idea for the ACTN block at the time.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on November 24, 2008, 05:54:29 AM
The TV deal was signed long before Geneon USA shut down their distribution operations. [as] probably had a very different idea for the ACTN block at the time.

Oh yeah, I remember that deal as well. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Well when Moribito is done, it will probably vanish.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: EyeOfPain on November 24, 2008, 05:59:31 AM
It seems like all their recent acquisitions have, so that won't be much of a surprise.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on November 24, 2008, 06:16:35 AM
It seems like all their recent acquisitions have, so that won't be much of a surprise.

I often wonder why AS bothers making deals and getting new anime. They often talk about how they "work hard" to get the best shows, yet they let the newest Gundam show slip threw their fingers and produce mega fail stuff like Super Jail.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on January 29, 2009, 11:48:21 PM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-16/adult-swim-removes-moribito-from-weekend-schedule (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-16/adult-swim-removes-moribito-from-weekend-schedule)

I was waiting on this to happen. Apparently Moribito has been canned from the looks of it, and replaced with Inuyasha, yes Inuyasha. Apparently they had more episodes on the way, but canned it without notice and ratings weren't the problem as it scored on par with CG R2. Although it seems like Media Blasters, AS, and Production I.G are having licensing issues.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: R. Daniel 01 on January 31, 2009, 09:56:02 AM
I have to change my glowing opinion of Moribito. The plot juts stopped moving forward after the initial burst. Instead we get filler that makes Prince Chagum and Balsa into Mary Sues. (Though I did miss episode 8.)

Visual design and animation quality still top notch, though.


Not that it matters anymore! No reason left to watch AS. Shame.


Title: Re: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Post by: Brooklyn Luckfield on January 31, 2009, 10:18:52 AM
I have to change my glowing opinion of Moribito. The plot juts stopped moving forward after the initial burst. Instead we get filler that makes Prince Chagum and Balsa into Mary Sues. (Though I did miss episode 8.)

Visual design and animation quality still top notch, though.


Not that it matters anymore! No reason left to watch AS. Shame.

True, it did go down hill after the first few episodes, and ditto on the design and animation.

As far as AS goes, I often wonder about the decisions they make regarding the anime they pick up, as it almost seems to be entirely random. I know AS say that "Standards would butcher it" but they need to pick up Berserk (it's no where near as violent as they say, well the anime at least), and get the rights to Gungrave, it has a deeper story than it would seem, and it has plenty of action for AS.