City of Amnesia
November 24, 2017, 02:50:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Well why was that never mentioned? (translation errors in anime)  (Read 7614 times)
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« on: December 14, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »

So have you ever found a translation error in Animes? Like Big O or Gundam. Hell, lets throw in Sailor Moon for good measure.

I find quite a few, most of them nothing, but sometimes whole plot points aren't translated.

Ok so in Code Geass if you watch it in Japanese and you understand Japanese then you'll here interesting tid-bits not in the English dub, or if it's in there it's background noise. Like C2 telling Lelu that "I just like Pizza" is the reason she only ever eats it. Or some Gundam character calling the hero a Bastard or an idiot, which is then englified (New term, go with it) into "you crap head".

I seem to notice a lot more untranslated/ mistranslated stuff in Big O. Maybe because it my fave Anime. Or maybe because I don't need subtitles to understand the characters.

Some of my fave untranslated/mistranslated lines are;
Shwarz: FUCK!!!! (he says damn or crap in English. But in the JP version he always yells FUCK, or shit)
Beck: Aw hell. (in English it's "Dammit")
Norman: Die you Bastards (Sons of Bitches. English one is better IMO)
Dorothy: Maybe you should get up on your own. (In English they garble it into "I'll play the piano when you don't get up on time")

Oh yeah. Everyone remember the Archetype in Act 4? And how Dorothy decides to wake it up? Yeah she's talking to it, in Japanese. No, not computer code or binary, JAPANESE!! And the translation group never bothered to translate it. Instead they took the cheap way out and put in old computer noises. BTW She talks way to quick in that scene for me to know what she said, but I caught Japanese syllables like ga and shi. I think she told it to wake up, but I'm not sure.

So yeah. Ever notice this stuff?

Shall I grant your wish?
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »

Now I want pizza. Thanks. I'd share a slice with C2 any day.

The Act 04 thing is interesting. I like the idea of her speaking in computer noises instead. A mysterious machine-language separate from human languages intrigues me. Instead of the easy way out, that was the better way out.

Overall, the English dub has far more nuance than the Japanese. Big O stands out to me more than many other series, in that respect. Either that, or the subbers were lazy, considering such a high-quality English dub already existed.

EyeOfPain
Japanese Schoolgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »

Did Schwarzwald actually say "Fakku"? 'Cause I'm pretty sure there's not an actual Japanese equivalent to "Fuck". And if your talking official translations, "crap head" would come from the desire to not swear on a cartoon that would be marketed towards young teenagers in America.

I remember reading an interview on one of The Big O DVDs an interview with the Japanese voice actors for Dorothy and Roger. From what I recall, Dorothy's seiyuu stated that that particular scene used gibberish based on Japanese, like adding extra syllables to words. If you listen closely to the English, Dorothy seems to say the word "online" quite a few times.

"People die when they are killed."

My animé, manga, and figure collections
Char Aznable
"Pimp Char" (ref: Ace of Spades)
Global Moderator

snakemarcato13

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »

I just thought that that was a bunch of "oneoneoneone" blended in with the binary...

Hey Garma, do you read me? Blame this on the misfortune of your birth...nothing personal.
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »

Did Schwarzwald actually say "Fakku"? 'Cause I'm pretty sure there's not an actual Japanese equivalent to "Fuck". And if your talking official translations, "crap head" would come from the desire to not swear on a cartoon that would be marketed towards young teenagers in America.

I remember reading an interview on one of The Big O DVDs an interview with the Japanese voice actors for Dorothy and Roger. From what I recall, Dorothy's seiyuu stated that that particular scene used gibberish based on Japanese, like adding extra syllables to words. If you listen closely to the English, Dorothy seems to say the word "online" quite a few times.

Online? Well that's a weird word for an anime where no one owns a freaking computer. And I thought she was saying the hexadecimal/circuit building word Omn. Which is a measure word for amps per second through a circuit. I also thought she said naga, which doesn't really have a meaning. Unless she meant the monster. But I kinda doubt that.

And Kuso is Fuck in Japanese. It is also a way to ask for sex. Kuso ga arimasu? Means want sex.

And yes, yes they do.

Shall I grant your wish?
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:07:10 PM »

Online also means activated, not just connected to the Interbutts. JEEZ, YUKO. Cheesy

What anime was that from?

Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »

Online also means activated, not just connected to the Interbutts. JEEZ, YUKO. Cheesy

What anime was that from?

I think Bible Black or Fate Stay Night. And I'm from the intertubes generation, what do you expect?

Shall I grant your wish?
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »

I think Bible Black

Theres some youtube of the hilarious dubbing in this. Apparently at one point somebody just tazes somebody else randomly
Readerman

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »

Online? Well that's a weird word for an anime where no one owns a freaking computer. And I thought she was saying the hexadecimal/circuit building word Omn. Which is a measure word for amps per second through a circuit.
This post is full of fail.  R. Daniel 01 called you out on the online thing.  Amps measure the amount of electric current that travels in a second.  Ohms (not omns) measure resistance.  And hexadecimal has nothing to do with either one of those.

And Kuso is Fuck in Japanese. It is also a way to ask for sex. Kuso ga arimasu? Means want sex.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.  "Kuso" literally means "shit."  It has nothing to do with sex.  You just said "there is shit," not "want sex."  That's not even how you ask a question in the polite form of Japanese.  And why would you use the polite form when you're saying such a vulgar word?  My brain, it hurts...
Professor Vogler
Beautiful Night
Global Moderator

I have lived by this, and I will DIE by this!

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »

Yuko... are you just using your (assumed) self-taught Japanese to translate the dialogue, or are you somehow finding fansubs and thinking those are more correct than the official translation? (I say "somehow" because I don't think Big O was ever fansubbed... Megadeus's spoiler clips were all I got)

If the words are as vulgar as you insist they are, then the show has a much less authentic feel to it. The cursing "damn" and "crap" (also "bastard" and "sons of bitches" in season 2) is heavy enough for film noir and light enough to not interrupt the flow of the viewing experience. To be honest if Schwarzwald said "fuck" in the series I think it would have been too jarring and loosen the overall noir-ness of the atmosphere.

I'm gone for a week and I miss a helluva lot around here. As I've just posted in the other thread, preface your posts next time lest you insinuate opinion as fact. Some things are lost in translation due to corresponding words not existing in another language or not being the right length for the animation. I'm not sure all of your examples are instances of this.

Also, Sailor Moon's dub was... umm... poor to say the least, and isn't on the same level as Big O's dub. Never speak of it again  Tongue

Beautiful Night...
TRIUMPH!!
Sharpshooter005

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »

Yeah I have to question the sex thing, because it implies that consent is being sought

Whereas we all know, the Japanese are way more about non-consensual groping on trains
Yuko-san
Dream granting witch

You have no need for me.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »

Yuko... are you just using your (assumed) self-taught Japanese to translate the dialogue, or are you somehow finding fansubs and thinking those are more correct than the official translation? (I say "somehow" because I don't think Big O was ever fansubbed... Megadeus's spoiler clips were all I got)

If the words are as vulgar as you insist they are, then the show has a much less authentic feel to it. The cursing "damn" and "crap" (also "bastard" and "sons of bitches" in season 2) is heavy enough for film noir and light enough to not interrupt the flow of the viewing experience. To be honest if Schwarzwald said "fuck" in the series I think it would have been too jarring and loosen the overall noir-ness of the atmosphere.

I'm gone for a week and I miss a helluva lot around here. As I've just posted in the other thread, preface your posts next time lest you insinuate opinion as fact. Some things are lost in translation due to corresponding words not existing in another language or not being the right length for the animation. I'm not sure all of your examples are instances of this.

Also, Sailor Moon's dub was... umm... poor to say the least, and isn't on the same level as Big O's dub. Never speak of it again  Tongue

Lol. I'm not self taught in Japanese. That's how I started out. But Now I've taken Japanese classes and am continuing my language learning. I'm better off then most 3rd year Japanese speaking students, and I'm still only at the first year level.

In Japanese anime almost every anime aimed at teenagers + has large amounts of cursing. But since Americans seem a little put off by it then it's usually translated to less harsh wording.

Also readerman, Kuuso is shit. Kuso is fuck. But most Japanese speakers say the second u in Kuuso in a short cut off tone, so they sound alike. And the way I typed it earlier is a polite way of asking if someone wants intercourse, without sounding rude.

Shall I grant your wish?
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:03:54 PM »

Shouldn't there be a -tai somewhere in there? Aritai? Mind you, I've only taken one year beginner's level.

Readerman

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »

Also readerman, Kuuso is shit. Kuso is fuck. But most Japanese speakers say the second u in Kuuso in a short cut off tone, so they sound alike. And the way I typed it earlier is a polite way of asking if someone wants intercourse, without sounding rude.
I don't know where you heard that, but you couldn't be more wrong.  But don't take my word for it, see for yourself: http://kanjidict.stc.cx/4A35

theEND was right, there is no Japanese equivalent of the word "fuck."  "Kuuso" is an adjective meaning "futile."  It's not a curse, not even close.  You're making my brain hurt again.

Uhh, I don't think you understand the correct times to use polite and plain forms.  And that's still not how you ask a question in polite form or even the correct verb form for asking someone to do something.  Sounds like you're trying to use stuff you haven't learned yet in class.  And making yourself look like a doofus.

Shouldn't there be a -tai somewhere in there? Aritai? Mind you, I've only taken one year beginner's level.
That's how you say you want something, yeah.  But if you're asking another person to do something, you'd use the suggestion ending (-masen ka, -nai ka) or the "let's" ending (-masho, -o).
Tifaria
Your Friendly Neighborhood Cynic

Your friendly neighborhood cynic

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

I dunno, from what I understand, one year of Japanese is probably not enough to make you fluent or even proficient.  I kind of doubt that even a 3rd year student is all that good at it, as it seems like an intensely difficult language to learn, so saying you're better off than them... I'm not sure about that. 

Gotta say, in the grand scheme of things, the accurate translation of swear words is not something I personally care about in regards to mistranslations or untranslated phrases/words.  They don't usually change the context of things much.  I agree with Vogler that in the case of Big-O, extreme expletives do not fit in with the overall noir mood of the show, so any mistranslations, if they exist, do not bother me. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: