City of Amnesia
March 29, 2024, 12:13:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Totally Awesome Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Thread.  (Read 6019 times)
Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« on: July 26, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »

Former thread title: "Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds. There, I said it!"

All right, I need to get something straight. It's been years since I got involved in an anime. Many long, sad, hard-luck years with nothing to watch but the mouth-frothing tripe of 4kids' Saturday morning block on the New Orleans CW.

But then I started watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds: Earthbound Immortals. And I cannot explain this, but somehow I like it.

The scary part is that I'm almost positive I'm not supposed to.

I mean, come on. Just a few years ago, cinema-quality animation and high-minded plot were the only things that got my attention. I would settle for nothing less than anime works of art for even my most casual entertainment.

These days, I watch even the likes of shaggin' Dinosaur King. And laugh. Often.

But that's not my point.

I started watching YGO5Ds and I got into. I really did. I caught it right about the start of the showdown with the Dark Signers. Perhaps something about the dark, cruel atmosphere and civic-minded survivalism drew me in, even if only superficially. And now, I'm actually going out of my way to watch episodes of it on www.4kids.com.

I don't know if my point is "I like Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's", or "I can't sodding believe I like Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds".

Of course, I lost quite a bit of respect for the show once the Earthbound Immortals actually started coming out. Lousy CG aside, the names are what got me. Roman's Uru I could live with. But once we got to Kalin...

"Behold, Earthbound Immortal CA-CA PACK-A-POO!!"

And Jack Atlas's accent nearly made me shit myself.

All right, now I'm just making myself laugh.

...I lost my train of thought. Someone take over and set me straight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:00:52 PM by Randolf » Logged
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:47:55 PM »

5D's is fairly entertaining, chiefly because the dub is so wacky. However, the setting is pretty interesting for a Yu-Gi-Oh show.

Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:34 AM »

Thank you, Graham. Just... thank you.

Feeling more confident now, I'm going toss out a notion before I go to bed: I'm noticing that Yusei apparently enjoys the same voice actor as Tristan from the original YGO (or, to be more exact, as the latter-end, normal-sounding Tristan well after he replaced his former voice persona, Tristan the Magic Purple Dinosaur). Anyone know for certain? The damned credits go to fast for me and I don't remember a thing about the original YGO cast.

Jaw it up, kidzies. Old man Randy needs his D's....

Z's, I mean. Yes.
Brooklyn Luckfield
Union Ace/Mr.Bushido

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »

Yep, Dan Greene voice Yusei, and pretty much every main character in a 4Kids dub.

R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »

I believe this is the one where he drives a uni-motorcycle and duels while racing his arch-nemesis? Or something like that. In theory, it sounds awesome. I started watching with genuine interest but then, even more so than you, the guilt overran the pleasure.

Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »

Honestly, I find the show to be rather fun. As I said, it can test your patience in some cases. The Dark Signer's themselves are kind of cool, if a bit generic -- not to mention they all look, sound and act almost exactly the same.

I think the real shortcoming is the cards. Shows like the original YGO needed quite a bit of suspension of disbelief once Yugi got fired up; some of his supposedly-random-but-actually-dealt-out-by-fate last-second-win card draws were almost painfully precise for the situation. But in 5D's, it's like the character's decks were assembled with no other purpose in life but to defeat this guys deck at this moment in time and in this exact order!

Most of the cards seem so advantageous for their particular situation, I'm not even sure if they're real. Or maybe I'm supposed to know that these cards were all just made up for the show in the name of wicked-cool ratings-jack spell/monster/trap combos.

Curses. I'll post to myself about YGO5D's if I have to. Live, forum! Live! *defibrillator*

I also just realized that I said it was "fun" and then complained for three paragraphs.
R. Daniel 01
Project Members

This machine has undergone numerous refinements.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »

Surprised there hasn't been a Magic: the Gathering show.

I also just realized that I said it was "fun" and then complained for three paragraphs.

hahaha, oh I do the saaame thing all the time. Don't most nerds do that? In loving something, we analyze and consider it so deeply that the flaws stick out all the brighter. They become that much more painful.

Well I can't speak for 5D, but the outcomes of the original show's battles were pleasurable, if a bit contrived. Just how contrived are we talking in 5Ds, here?

Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »

Surprised there hasn't been a Magic: the Gathering show.

You know, that very notion, as commercially blighted as it would probably be, if done correctly would have the potential to be 1,001% unadulterated awesominity.

But then we'd risk spawning Magic Yu-Gi the Five Oh Gathering D's.

Roman: "I play my spell card EARTHBOUND MANA RESERVE! This lets me play as many lands as you have Tuner Monsters in your graveyard! And once I've done that, I can use EARLY EARTHBOUND HARVEST to tap all my lands and attack you directly for 400 damage per colorless mana spent this way!"

Yusei: *plays Counterspell*

Roman: "NOOOOOOOO!!" *Uru explodes*

...I'm being silly.
Randolf
I Am Not Alone

Live life.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

Double-posting simply because it could be days before anyone else replies. And I have something to say.

I was trying to watch YGO5D's at www.4kidstv.com. The shows play perfectly, but the sound has a really thick reverb on it that I can't figure out. It's making the dialog and sound effects annoyingly hard to understand.

It does, however, makes the theme song sound godlike.

Anyone else notice this problem?

EDIT: I just figured it out. It was some bizarre defect in the computer I use at work. My own doesn't have that problem.

Damn, I actually miss it now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:01:57 PM by Randolf » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: